Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 10:51pm
Small Business Owner

Thumbs up

I agree with Mike Sears...
Old Thu Apr 28, 2005, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by parepat
How about this example. Quarterback (Dan Marino) motions that he is about to spike football to stop clock. Defense (NY JETS) relax. Marino doesn't spike, throws TD. Dolphins win. Legal play. Virtually every argument that this is an illegal act can be said about this play. I understand that it was an NFL play, it is still relevent. I believe the play in question is legal.
REPLY: In your play, contrary to the one under discussion, everyone knew that the snap was coming. They just didn't know what Marino was going to do once it happened. If you think that Marino's suckering them into believing that he was going to spike the ball constitutes some sort of illegal deception, would you say the same about him dropping back to pass and then handing the ball off on a draw? I really believe your example is a horse of a different color and really can't be used as a valid comparison...IMHO.
Old Thu Apr 28, 2005, 04:58pm
Small Business Owner

Thumbs up

Bob M is correct!
I couldn't have said it better myself!
Old Thu Apr 28, 2005, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

I'd forgotten all about that play until this post and always thought that Marino showed about as much class and heart as the Cowardly Lion. "What have they got that I ain't got? Courage! What a wuss.
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Speaking of this Marino play, do you remember when Randall Cunningham began to take a knee and then rose to throw a TD pass over a defense who believed he was ending the half? Note: If in an NCAA game, he wouldn't get away with it; the ball would have been blown dead because he "...simulated placing a kneee on the ground." In a Federation game, it's a legal TD.
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Or more likely an inadvertant whistle.
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kdf5
I'd forgotten all about that play until this post and always thought that Marino showed about as much class and heart as the Cowardly Lion. "What have they got that I ain't got? Courage! What a wuss.
Just curious as to why that is? I'm not a fan of Marino or anything, just wondering why you think that.

Also, I wish to second the reasoning above, as to why the 'anticipated spike' is legal (defense believed the snap was imminent, just not the "type" of play).
Old Sat Apr 30, 2005, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
I have an USC on this intentional or not. Would you flag holding if it was unintentional? Did the Offense do something that makes it look like the snap is not going to happen? YES! Flag it.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Sat Apr 30, 2005, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PSU213
Quote:
Originally posted by kdf5
Just curious as to why that is? I'm not a fan of Marino or anything, just wondering why you think that.

Also, I wish to second the reasoning above, as to why the 'anticipated spike' is legal (defense believed the snap was imminent, just not the "type" of play).
It was 'yeller', chicken, womany, spineless...If he did that on a playground, he'd get beaten up. It was like this team I played once in a basketball league. They were up two points at half, then came out in the second half and played a four corner stall. Gimme a break. Play the game like a man. I'd flag Marino for USC before I'd flag the original play in this post.
Old Sat Apr 30, 2005, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

IMO, the actions would indicate that a snap was NOT evident, so we will have a flag if I am the R. Good comments!