The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 10:57pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Exclamation

Hello,

I'm about to start a new venture in our association.

A new, structured training program for white hats. Some of the attendees have white hatted before, and some are new, or with only one year of limited experience.

I'm looking to see if any has a program already made up - perhaps you have some documents for the layout of your meetings/training.

Thanks for your time.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry I don't have anything to help you get started, but I hope you'd be willing to share what you come up with?!
Old Sat Feb 12, 2005, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

From all I have read and heard, it seems we do not (in general) do much as associations to train white hats. In my own there is no such program. And to make it worse (IMHO) anyone who raises their hand can be a white hat. There is no vetting process and I see that as a major weakness in our program. Kudos to you guys for recognizing the need and trying to address it. From what I have seen, it is not enough to rely that a guy who is willing to put himself in that position will also do what is necessary to be good at it.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

I'm in the process of developing a program for (5 man) back judges in my association. It's a position that no one works at a level lower than varsity because there are no 5 man JV contests. Hence, guys get back there for the first time and have a tough time adjusting to the look of the game from there, what their keys are, when to zone up, where to be at certain yardline, down/distance situations etc.

Does anyone have anything like that in place now?
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Our chapter has "position meetings" every week at our weekly meeting. We meet from 7 to 8 on Monday nights followed by a general assembly where position representatives bring up key points we want to share that was discussed in the position meetings. It works great for younger officials because it's usually senior officials who share their experience....kind of like how we share philosophy, mechanics, rules on this discussion board.

Someone creates a booklet at the beginning of the year that is distributed to everyone. It pretty much has "chapters" which are weekly discussions on a particular topic. We follow that with sample test questions. For example week 1 may be "kicking game" and the chapter may have some rules spelled out and perhaps a discussion of mechanics. That's followed by 10-15 questions that we discuss in our position meetings as a group. Once we get into general assembly the position representative shares anything he wishes with the group to ensure we're all on the same page. It's a pretty good program and works real well.

One other thing we do is not all weeks we're in position meetings, but rather crew meetings (5 crews to a clasroom) where the crews share experiences of the past weekend's games and how we dealt with them.

Hope this helps.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Al,
No I don't have anything specific to 5-man (Back judge), but is this something you are trying to develope inaddition to the what is documented in NF mechanics manual for 5-man?

Ref magazine publishes a general mechanics for NF football, and I do recall some web sites in PA and/or KY that has stuff available on-line. Just can't remember the URLs.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

I used the powerpoint program from some gentleman in Georgia last year on keys for wings and BJ. It went over great. Everyone said it was terrific, but I'm not sure how much of it stayed with people throughout the season.

What I'm more interested in is the nuts and bolts of seeing the game from there. Looking at the printed page or powerpoint screen is all well and good, but I want to talk about (and demonstrate) where they should be concentrating at the beginning of the play, as the play develops and at the end of it. Also, things to keep in mind given the down/distance, clock situation and position on the field.

Reps are the one true training tool that works, but I'm trying to come up with something so that the guy who's back there for week 1, his first time there, will have a mental checklist as well as a feel for things. These guys are gonna live and die on that one big call, and I want to make sure they're in position to make it so they have a better chance of getting it right.

As far as position meetings, we're not crews, so this might not be so good for us. There are certain guys who work WH more than others and U more than others. Wings and BJ's might be anybody on any given week.

[Edited by ABoselli on Feb 13th, 2005 at 05:11 PM]
Old Sat Feb 26, 2005, 01:05pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I'm making some headways into the documentation that I'm creating.

If you'd like a copy, be patient - I will post a PDF that we can all download within the next month.

Keep in mind that it is designed for Canadian amateur football (the best kind of football there is ). The first night I talked about points of application. Certainly the terms will be odd to you, but the logic is the same.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

So Mike, are you going to present this manual at the OFOA conference in Belleville in April? Are you going? I will be there as I am setting up a display of products just like I did at London two years ago.

Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 06:06am
Official Forum Member

That's a great idea on the video. I will certainly keep a lid on it. As a matter of fact, if you need some financial backing, perhaps World of Sports can be of some assistance. I don't how much we could throw into it, but it is something I would be interested in discussing with you should the need arise.

Best of luck with both projects.