The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

1. R1 returns the KO to K’s 10 and fumbles: (a) the ball rolls into the EZ and no one attempts to recover; or (b) K1 attempts to recover and forces the ball into his own EZ and no one attempts to recover. The referee waits several seconds and then sounds his whistle.

2. During the last timed down of the 4th period, A scores a TD to draw within 1 point of team B. During the successful try, B1 roughs the kicker or holder. What is the ruling?
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
1. R1 returns the KO to K’s 10 and fumbles: (a) the ball rolls into the EZ and no one attempts to recover; or (b) K1 attempts to recover and forces the ball into his own EZ and no one attempts to recover. The referee waits several seconds and then sounds his whistle.

2. During the last timed down of the 4th period, A scores a TD to draw within 1 point of team B. During the successful try, B1 roughs the kicker or holder. What is the ruling?
Play 1a. Touchdown for R. The ball in team possession became dead in K’s end zone.
Play 1b. If you rule that K did not add a new force, TD for R. If you rule that K1 provided a new force the result is a safety.

With that being said, if I were the official on this play I would not be real quick on the whistle. I would say something like the ball is alive. Then watch the scramble.

Play 2
Team A can except the points with the penalty being enforced against team B in over time. Or team A can take the points off the board, except the penalty of half the distance to the goal and replay the down. Or team A can except the points and decline the penalty and go to over time.

Dale Smith
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Dale except for 1b. It's a TD as the ball is not in possession of team K, but rather team R (in K's endzone), hence a touchdown. There's no question about force as the initial question says K provided the force. If the ball had been in possession of team K before entering K's endzone then you have something else, but not here. (Unless I'm mis-reading something)
Old Fri Feb 11, 2005, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

I agree.

1b. is no different than if K forced the ball into his own EZ and R pounced on it.