The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I have been wondering about this for years - My understanding of the rules governing a kick off is that it can be recovered by either team once it has gone 10 yards. Only the receiving team can advance the ball, but the kicking team can recover it. So why doesn't the kicking team fall on the ball and take over possession on a kick off when the receiving team merely watches the ball roll (hopefully to the end zone for a touchback)?
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: In all my years of officiating and watching football, I can only recall one or two instances where the receiving team on a free kick just allowed the ball roll. 99.99% of the time they know as well as you do that if K recovers 10 yards or more beyond the spot of the kick, they get to keep the ball. Are you sure you're not confusing this with a scrimmage kick (punt, FG) where the ball would be awarded to the receivers no matter who recovers??

I just have rarely if ever seen the play you described. Your interpretation of the rule is correct.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

You know - you may be right - perhaps I was thinking about a punt - so much for the dilema I have been pondering for years!

Guess it could happen!

Thanks!
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

I actually saw that once on a free kick
and not an on-sides (kick off) !!
Ball comes down in my area (I'm U), I'm
waiting for a receiver to pick up the ball.
They must have been thinking punt for
some reason ! A member of the kicking team
finally falls on the ball. I signal in their
direction--- it's their ball !!
Had a similar situation on an on-side
kick, where as U I was up on the 50 yard
line. The ball comes dribbling down into
my zone-- both teams sort of froze and
it was a few seconds before the receiving team
woke up and fell on the ball !! Strange things
happen in high school games.
Just remember, there are 2 parts to
that--- 10 yards AND hit the ground !
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Several years ago in a JV game, R's deep receiver, on a kickoff, watched the ball roll to him. He then sort of leapt over the ball and ran towards the sidelines, real nonchalant. I'm sure he confused the kickoff for a punt. K jumped on the ball like a duck on a june bug. Man did he get an ear full. I finally had to tell his coach to cool it.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

As said before, on a kickoff I don't think I have ever seen the receivers just let it roll. Usually someone has the brilliance to yell "it's a live ball" (a phrase I have begun to dislike, but the players know what it means). I agree that you may be thinking of a punt.(?)
Old Fri Feb 11, 2005, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Just a point of minor clarification... the ball must go ten yards AND hit the ground before it may be recovered by K, otherwise we have fair catch interference on K.

[Edited by Texoma_lj on Feb 11th, 2005 at 06:11 PM]
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Texoma_LJ
Just a point of minor clarification... the ball must go ten yards AND hit the ground before it may be recovered by K, otherwise we have fair catch interference on K.
REPLY: True...for Federation. For NCAA, there is no requirement that the ball hit the ground as long as there's no receiver in position to catch the kick. If so, he must be given the unimpeded oportunity to catch it.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Bob, I'm curious as to whether you ever officiated in the southern part of New Jersey. We had this happen my Senior Year in Pennsville. I was beside myself watching a star teammate stagger and let a kickoff roll. He was a 3-year varsity starter who decided to get high before our last football game. It looked like he was drunk watching the ball roll on a kick. I wasn't a starter having been the smallest guy on the team at that time. I was on the sideline during that play going crazy yelling to pick up the ball as were the coaches. Actually, I really don't think you were on the field that day but I thought to share the story. In reading this I thought of that. The kid was a bonehead. It's been 24 years and I have never saw this except for that day in 1980.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Wasn't me!!
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

When Ron Woodson was a rookie with the Steelers, he let the ball roll in the endzone and didn't pick it up; the kicking team recovered for a touchdown. I don't officiate football (I do lacrosse) but IIRC in NCAA ball K cannot recover in the endzone, but K can recover in the endzone in the NFL. It was a simple case of not making sure the rookie knows the rule differences.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

NCAA: The kicking team can recover in the receiving teams end zone IF the ball has been touched by B before it hits the ground in the EZ. Otherwise, the ball is dead (TB) when it hits the ground in the EZ. Wasn't the NFL rule on this changed to match the NCAA rule last year or the year before? Gotta look that one up.

PS.

We don't use K and R in NCAA, only A and B...
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ljudge
Bob, I'm curious as to whether you ever officiated in the southern part of New Jersey. ...
REPLY: Only game I ever did in south Jersey was the Group 1 final back in 1999 (I think). Glassboro vs. Florence. And no...this play didn't happen there!