The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

I'm sure we've all heard about the Patriots not covering the field for their game against the Colts this weekend.

My first thought: If I was the Umpire assigned to this contest, I'd make sure to call as many holds on NE as possible.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

This is odd that the NFL wouldn't require it be covered.

Earlier in the year, the state semis (HS) were held at Wilson Stadium in Buffalo. They originally had planned to have some games on Saturday but had to scrap them and move them to Friday night (10 pm kickoff!) because the NFL had a rule that the field had to be unused for 24 hours prior to a contest. The Bills were home for a 1pm kickoff on Sunday that week. Now, this is an AstroPlay field - how chewed up will it get?!

Yet New England can let their field turn into a mud pit. If the point of the rule is to make sure NFL surfaces are in top condition, how can they let this slide?
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Guess thats why they call it Home Field Advantage
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

They're just like a coaches, trying to find ways to "bend" the rules. They are actually in compliance. As timing would have it I just read this story (see attached) about 5 minutes ago then decided to check out new posts on this forum.

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3320958

An excerpt from the article..."NFL rules say the field should be covered on the day and night before a game if there is any chance of precipitation."
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Does anyone else remember the NFL replacing the turf at Lambeau field a couple of years ago? Sure doesn't jive with what's happening in NE.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 06:24am
Official Forum Member

The Packers actually budget to replace the sod twice each year. I don't recall the NFL ever replacing it for them, they do it themselves.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bateyes
Guess thats why they call it Home Field Advantage
First off, I apologize in advance if you aren't saying this is fair.

Home field advantage is when the crowd makes noice so the visiting QB can't audible. It is when a dome team has to play outside in January (without the home team "helping" to produce bad field conditions). It is not a team actually "creating" a bad field to give themselves an advantage.

I certainly understand the home field advantage aspect of forcing a dome team to play in bad weather, but not covering a field to make a sloppy, slow track is poor sportsmanship, and just plain unfair. OK, I will get off my soapbox now.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Not saying it is right but there is not much difference between this and a team who is up against a speedy team and opts not to cut the grass for a period of time. That turns it into a slow field which can often balance out 2 teams that are not otherwise equal.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Snow Blower

Is the parolee the grounds keeper.

Remember the snow blowing a few years ago, and the FG attempt?
Old Sun Jan 16, 2005, 03:34pm
Chain of Fools

Gillette Field should actually be frozen

so if the field is hard as a rock how does that hurt the Colt receivers? I would think they would rather run on tundra than mud.
Old Sun Jan 16, 2005, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

But that is just it,...it will not be hard as a rock. It will be mush because as all the precipitation/snow gets on it during the lead up to the game the turg just gets wetter and wetter. And since they have that start of the art heating system underneath the turf, the field will not freeze.