The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Anyone here actually worked a 25 second play clock device from the booth? If so, a question has come up about the technical capabilites of such devices. Specifically, can you start it and then when it gets to a certain point (21 seconds for example), stop it and freeze it there? Or is it limited to starting and then just resetting back to 25?
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

It depends on the system. There is not a standard
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

I've used a Daktronics play clock, and it's capable of stopping and starting, the only time it resets is when you hit the reset button.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Play/shot clocks (I've only had experience with the latter) vary incredibly from stadium to stadium, and every model is different from the others.

My guess would be that there would be some way to stop the clock in mid-count, and probably a way to reset the clock to some value other than 25 seconds - although both may be difficult.

If you're wondering about a particular stadium, your best bet is to call the facilities manager and check. Otherwise, most manufacturer websites are pretty good - Daktronics is one of the biggest suppliers I've seen.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

I have operated the 25 second clock at both Groves Stadium (Wake Forest University) and Bank of America Stadium (Continental Tire Bowl) in Charlotte, NC. Althought the physical location of the controls/switches were slightly different, the basic operation is the same. Each has an on/off switch that freezes the time remaining in the 25 second count when switched off and a second button that resets the clock to 25 seconds.
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Let it run

I instruct my CO to let the play clock run down to zero. I want the coach to see :00 on the clock when he is assessed with a delay of game.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

High school game we normally don't run a 25-second clock. But for the high school all-star game this past season played on a college field we had a 30-second clock. One time the clock was about ready to roll down to zero when suddenly at two seconds it froze.

My answer is, yes, you can stop it.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Re: Let it run

Quote:
Originally posted by chiefgil
I instruct my CO to let the play clock run down to zero. I want the coach to see :00 on the clock when he is assessed with a delay of game.
Ah, er, the clock better be at zero before you toss the flag. I think you mean to say you instruct the clock operator to NOT reset the clock after it goes to zero??
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Ed, how did you get a 30 second clock?
Every NCAA field I've worked at the play clock was settable to 25 seconds and it it wasn't working properly, we shut it down.