The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 02:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Going back to the free kick after an awarded fair catch question. Say the offense does run a play and get a flag for DPI and then coach chooses to try the free kick.

Is this done with timing for a normal 25 second play clock or do you treat it like normal free kick situations after a try and they have a minute?
Or do you call an officials TO to make sure everyone (players and coaches) is aware of what is going on no matter how long it takes?
Do you take the time to explain how it needs to be played thru normal preventive officiating like a free kick (BJ telling kicking team to wait on the whistle and not cross the kicking line before ball kicked. LJ telling the receiving team not to cross their line till ball kicked, etc)?

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

There will have to be some explaination given to the opposing team. If they have not heard of this before then there may be a lot of explaination. I wouldn't give them a minute as that is not one of the reasons for an official's timeout. The 25 second clock must run after the RFP. So after some explaination of what is happening, first to the officials and then to the opposition, just line them up and blow it ready.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

My crew had this happen in a high school varsity game last fall. Mechanically we cover this every pre-game so we knew what to do. In this case the visiting team wanted to free kick after a DPI foul on a first down play following a fair catch. The pass was also incomplete. The Line Judge explained what was going on to his head coach. This took about 8 to 10 seconds. The teams and we officials lined up in our positions. We treated this just like any other free kick. I put the ball in play and the kick was good. We did not start the clock on this play due to the incomplete pass and the ball was obviously not touched after the kick.
I have been officiating football for 27 years and this is the first time that I have ever seen a free kick after a fair catch.
Dale Smith
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Like Dale said, as soon as the offended team says they want to free kick, get them set up (get yourselves set up as well!) and the R blows the ready starting the 25-second play clock. Yes, it probably will require some explanation to the offending team prior to the RFP so he knows what's happening, but there is no 1-minute intermission. Remember that the 1-minute intermission is granted "...following a try, successful field goal or safety..." and not just because a free kick is impending.