The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 25, 2004, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

Well they did it again! UAB @ Hawaii.

Anyone see the play? I saw the HL(or LJ) reach for the flag then decided no.

If you missed it.

Player A1 is blocked out of bounds, goes to come back in and the ball is thrown to him, he then jumps from out of bounds, catches the ball and runs some 70 yards for a TD.

The commentators then go on for the next 5 minutes about how he never reestablished himself inbounds and continuely called it a "contreversial" play. They then said somthing along the lines that there were two officials standing right there and that they must have felt that he touched in bounds before catching the ball, but clearly on tape he catches the ball in the air.

I wish they'd hire me as a consultant or somthing. :/
Old Sat Dec 25, 2004, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

And since nobody will tell them they are wrong, they will keep on thinking they are so brilliant. Next time this play happens they will harp on it again about how yet another group of officials "blew the play". The Big Ten has some kind of war room on Saturdays and they watch all televised games and have a direct line to the TV folks at eash site so they can square them away when they start spouting off. I suspect they do it for Bowls as well but we shall see.
Old Sat Dec 25, 2004, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

WOULDN'T IT BE NICE!!!

Along the lines of TXMike, it would be nice if one of the responsibities of the replay official was to help the announcers with rulings they are unsure of, or wrong about. If needed for a replay, after the fact they could be in contact with the announcers to clarify things. Otherwise if they had questions, they could ask the replay official, or if he heard them stating something wrong, he could correct them. The NFL has guys working with the announcers and they still mess things up sometimes, but are much better the last few years.
Old Sat Dec 25, 2004, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

I had noticed the NFL commentators more this year seeming to get things right after an intial misstatement. That must be because of that help you talk about. I wondered what was going on.
Old Sat Dec 25, 2004, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Merry Christmas Gentlemen!

I didn't watch that game but was channel surfing at the time and that was the only play I saw in the game. When they commented on the officiating I waited to see how badly the officials "blew" the call (as they claimed), until I saw it played back of course.

You know snake~eyes you're not off base here. I (seriously) think there's definitely an opportunity for these networks to hire people with "officiating / rules savvy." One of these executive producers is going to try this someday and it's going to be a great move when they do. I was thinking two years ago that NFL teams should hire a "rules coach" and networks should try a "rules analyst."

I think I'll write up the job description and then apply for the job! Better than writing software.

Enjoy the holidays!!!
Old Sun Dec 26, 2004, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ljudge

You know snake~eyes you're not off base here. I (seriously) think there's definitely an opportunity for these networks to hire people with "officiating / rules savvy." One of these executive producers is going to try this someday and it's going to be a great move when they do. I was thinking two years ago that NFL teams should hire a "rules coach" and networks should try a "rules analyst."

I think I'll write up the job description and then apply for the job! Better than writing software.

Enjoy the holidays!!!

I think my seven year old son would add more rules knowledge than what them commentators have. My 17 month old son isn't far behind either. With the 2 of them in a booth they would know more than the booth guys know.
Old Sun Dec 26, 2004, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

lol watching the Redskins/Cowboys game, the guy says "Pass Inteference is pretty black and white. There isn't as much judgement as people think"