Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Question

Huh?

Did anyone else read through that thread? I came away with a few questions and comments.

I thought a maze was a puzzle.

I thought a gaggle was a collection of geese.

What's a 'No Yards Penalty'?

What kind of game you playin up there?
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

In Canadian football, there is a five yard restraining zone around the first Team B player to touch the ball on any kick from scrimmage.

Only the kicker and any player positioned behind the kicker while the ball is kicked may be inside that 5 yard zone while the ball is touched. These players are referred to as "onside" players. Onside players may recover the kick, or may legally be within the restraining zone.

Any other player is considered "offside" If the offside player is in the restraining zone while Team B touches the ball, or if an offside player is the first person to touch the ball the resulting foul is called "no yards" It's a 15 yard penalty.

Now, in the CFL and OUA they have a bounce back rule that I'm not going to get into.

I hope that clears things up
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 12:57am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb

The restraining zone rule is the rule that forcludes us from having a fair catch rule.
Old Sun Dec 19, 2004, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

The bottom line to this rule in Canadian Football is that on a punt and FG try, the receiving team MUST play the ball uless it goes OB. They have no option to fair catch, and if they just leave the ball to roll around, as my fellow Canuck suggested, the kicker and any players that lined up behind him when the ball was kicked, are eligible to jump on the ball and if possession is gained, in most instances would see yards gained for 1&10. I think its a great feature of our game as I have to chuckle when I see five or six NFL bemoths carefully following the slowly rolling ball from the four to the three to the two etc...

On the unsuccessful FG try, the ball must also be played by the receiving team (they get this same five yard zone) unless it blasts through the end zone for the single point. If not, the receiving team can try and run it out, concede the single point (I LOVE the rouge!!) or even punt it back out again, which happens sometimes in the dying seconds of a tie game when a single point is critical. Many years ago I saw a Wpg vs Sask(?) game where the ball got punted back and forth four of five times with no time left on the clock...great fun to watch.

Further to the "no yards" rule, and with apologies for the length of this post, a couple of years ago my son's HS team went down to the San Diego area to play a US HS team in a semi annual exhibition match using US rules. The only rule issue our kids got into trouble with was the first time the US team punted the ball to us, and as the ball was coming down neither of our returners had signalled fair catch. Our coach quickly realized that their lives were in danger with the kicking team bearing down on them ready to time their hits, and he yelled to our kids, "SOMEBODY CALL FAIR CATCH!!", and one of the kids finally stuck his arm up, but not the kid who caught the ball, and we got a flag for that but we got out alive....kinda commical...
Old Sun Dec 19, 2004, 03:21pm

Where ya from, HH?
Old Sun Dec 19, 2004, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Edmonton (EFOA)
Old Sun Dec 19, 2004, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Anyone think we have enough Canadian football officials on the board to start up a new section dealing with Canadian Football??? Or do we still need to recruit a few more??

Old Sun Dec 19, 2004, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

That may be up to our American compatriots…are you Yanks getting’ sore necks from shaking your heads over some of our more “unique” rules yet?? LOL!
Old Sun Dec 19, 2004, 08:23pm

Quote:
Originally posted by HossHumard
Edmonton (EFOA)
Cool. Do you guys have a website?

Did you go to the CFOA conference in 2004? If so, I may have met you.
Old Mon Dec 20, 2004, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

I think a couple of guys are working on a site as we speak..will let you know when it's up. Great association, great bunch of guys and some excellent football in these parts especially with the Bears on the upswing this past season. They should make the Vanier for sure in '05!

Didn't make the CFOA this year but would like to go at some point in the future. Just finished my second year in stripes, lots of time to meet all you chuckleheads.....lol!
Old Mon Dec 20, 2004, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What kind of game you playin up there?
It's a game a lot closer to the Rugby rules that both our sports originated from

The reason that I started the thread in the first place is that it is legal for an onside player to recover and advance a scrimmage kick provided that some critical criteria are met.

In the course of doing that the differences between the two kicking games start to really come out. In particular, our rule book states that short kicks coming down into a crowd are to be killed in flight with the ball awarded to the receiving team where the ball hits the ground - not pro ball but CFL is to community ball as NFL is to federation bal.

HossHumard puts it well when he says that the receiving team must play the ball after a scrimmage kick. The 5 yard RADIUS 'halo' around the player is a restraining zone to ensure they get an opportunity to field the ball without getting pummled. Having said that, the same collection of restricted players who can recover and advance a scrimmage kick can be inside that halo (so...all B players and any 'onside' A players).

As for 'gaggle', I think it's a neat word and tend to group all kinds of things into 'gaggle' when I don't know what the proper plural form is.

eg. 'A Gaggle of Hillbillies'

Old Mon Dec 20, 2004, 11:44pm

Quote:
I think a couple of guys are working on a site as we speak..will let you know when it's up. Great association, great bunch of guys and some excellent football in these parts especially with the Bears on the upswing this past season. They should make the Vanier for sure in '05!

Didn't make the CFOA this year but would like to go at some point in the future. Just finished my second year in stripes, lots of time to meet all you chuckleheads.....lol!
Check out our site: http://www.wwcfoa.ca
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

I just want to say I can see that our Canadian officiating brethren put in as much time and effort and energy to their game as we do and I love their wide open game. I wish American football could adopt some of the Canadian game, but when it comes to your threads and posts I have to go right by them. Every time I read a Canadian post and I try to decipher Canadian rules I can't help but think of Dean Faber from Animal House and "double secret probation".
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Fear not kdf5, once you get beyond the extra guy, the motion, the field size and the down, the games are basically identical. Fundamentals, from scoring (you guys down south should really think about the single point thing, it really spices up the game!) to blocking, tackling and field position..all the same.

I have often thought that the US game, NFL in particular, would really benefit most by incorporating the Canuck field size (110x65+20yd EZ) to give the many extraordinary athletes south of the border some room to move. It would be impossible to do that of course as no NFL club would ever agree to taking out even one seat, even if it made the game better, but I think it's a little like going back to your grade school and seeing the room and the desks and the water fountains in minature because you doubled in size. When you think about it, in Vince Lombardi's day an average lineman was 6'1', 230-250 and these days....yikes, anybody under 300 in the trench is considered a circus midget! And the skill guys...think of what they could do with some extra elbow room!

Just a thought.

BTW, yeah, Dean Wormer (Dean of Faber College) was a real SOB, but it was worth the trouble if you could get a few moments alone with Mrs. Wormer, eh?
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I have often thought that the US game, NFL in particular, would really benefit most by incorporating the Canuck field size (110x65+20yd EZ) to give the many extraordinary athletes south of the border some room to move...And the skill guys...think of what they could do with some extra elbow room!

Just a thought.

BTW, yeah, Dean Wormer (Dean of Faber College) was a real SOB, but it was worth the trouble if you could get a few moments alone with Mrs. Wormer, eh?
I do think that a larger field to accomodate NFL athletes would open the game up but you and I know that will never happen for a bunch of reasons. To be honest, the NFL bores me to death for a number of other reasons. Give me a good college or HS game any day. Yeah, Mrs. Wormer was a hottie but a terrible driver and I already have two teens driving, I don't need her jacking up my insurance rates any higher than they are.