The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
The rule states that all A players must be with 15 yards of the ball at some point. It’s intent, I believe, is to avoid a sleeper play or other acts of deception against the defense. How strict are you in enforcing this when a team is running a Run and Shoot, no-huddle offense?

Clearly, there are times when some of the receivers do not meet the 15 yard requirement when lining up for the next play in a series of downs. They run their patterns or blocking assignment and then immediately return to their position on the line of scrimmage. Do you allow this as there is no real attempt to deceive the defense?

[Edited by waltjp on Dec 14th, 2004 at 11:31 AM]
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Thanks for the Snickers bar. Made me feel like a real umpire!

And yes...I'll be liberal in enforcing that rule provided the WR draws defensive coverage...especially if the offense has been using no-huddle all along. If they start somewhere during the course of the game, I'll be stricter in enforcing the rule until I'm certain that the defense has had the chance to recognize what they're doing and the kind of formations the offense is employing.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by waltjp
The rule states that all A players must be with 15 yards of the ball at some point. It’s intent, I believe, is to avoid a sleeper play or other acts of deception against the defense. How strict are you in enforcing this when a team is running a Run and Shoot, no-huddle offense?

Clearly, there are times when some of the receivers do not meet the 15 yard requirement when lining up for the next play in a series of downs. They run their patterns or blocking assignment and then immediately return to their position on the line of scrimmage. Do you allow this as there is no real attempt to deceive the defense?

[Edited by waltjp on Dec 14th, 2004 at 11:31 AM]
Our wing officials will talk to the recievers and will remind them (at the beginning of the game until the Def can recognize what they are ruinning) to at least get into the hashes, provided NO decepotion is being used. We will be liberal at the beginning, but after a few warnings, they will inform the players AND coches. If it continues, then we will flag it. We have not had any so far. Once the coach and player are both involved in teh COMMUNICATION, it seems to take care of itself.

there is the word again....COMMUNICATTION and preventative officiating. It is a wonderful thing when used !!
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
You're most welcome, Bob. But until I see the chocolate stains on the front of your shirt I still won't believe you're an umpire.