The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 11, 2004, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

I have been reading through my rules and casebook and can't find anything illegal with a center standing sideways and snapping the ball. Under Fed rules it seems permissable. Does anyone have any disagreement?
Old Sat Dec 11, 2004, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
The snapper's shoulders must be parallel to the LOS.

2-30-9
A lineman is any A player who is facing his opponent's goal line with the line of his shoulders approximately parallel thereto and with his head or foot breaking an imaginary plane drawn parallel to the line of scrimmage through the waist of the snapper when the ball is snapped.
Old Sun Dec 12, 2004, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Walt. I did find that the center's shoulders must paralell with the LOS.
Last night in our 5A state championship game they had a snap where the center was lined up correctly but snapped the ball at about a 45 degree angle but not through his legs. I can't find anything that would make that illegal.

Old Sun Dec 12, 2004, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Nothing illegal about the snap on that play.
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

This question about the requirement to to snap the ball between the legs or not comes up often enought where one would think NF would include the answer in their definitions.

They don't say is has to be snapped between the legs or not to be legal. To most of us, that means its legal either way.

NCAA put this defintion in their rules:
g. The snap need not be between the snapperÂ’s legs; but to be legal, it must be a quick and continuous backward motion.

I see no reason why the NF can't add this as well, in fact they should add it.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

[Canadian Ruling]

In Canada, our rules specifically state that the Centre must snap the ball between his legs.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 05:03pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by wwcfoa43
[Canadian Ruling]

In Canada, our rules specifically state that the Centre must snap the ball between his legs.
Julian, we're going to have to educate wwcfoa43 on how to use an optional Post subject (= "Canadian Ruling) and the lightbulb. LOL
Old Wed Dec 15, 2004, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

On Monday night the Titans ran a play where the center snapped the ball to his side and not between his legs.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=241213010
Old Wed Dec 15, 2004, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by starman
On Monday night the Titans ran a play where the center snapped the ball to his side and not between his legs.

And this probably wasn't a legal snap either. This was not a continuous backward motion and I would assume that a continuous motion is part of the NFL definition of a snap but I am not sure. The snapper first picked up the ball to "load up" on the snap. It happened very quickly but I'm sure that the officials knew what was going on when that formation showed up.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2004, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Warrenkicker
Quote:

And this probably wasn't a legal snap either. This was not a continuous backward motion and I would assume that a continuous motion is part of the NFL definition of a snap but I am not sure. The snapper first picked up the ball to "load up" on the snap. It happened very quickly but I'm sure that the officials knew what was going on when that formation showed up.
I thought it was fine, you thought it was illegal?
Old Wed Dec 15, 2004, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Warrenkicker
Quote:

I did not think he "loaded up" at all. It looked as if he just did it in one motion, but that is my opinion.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2004, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Well it was quick but when they showed it in slow motion he picked it straight up and then went to the side. But that is just the way I saw it in slow motion. In real time it may have been hard to catch but then again I might guess that there are things that you just don't call at the NFL level. I would think that they still have equipment rules which most players ignore and nobody gets a flag for that.