The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 30, 2004, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Please forgive some dumb questions from a baseball/softball umpire, but I can't seem to find answers in my NCAA football rule book:

1. Exactly what does the winner of the coin toss get to choose? If he chooses to receive, does the other captain get to choose which direction he will kick?

2. Can the winner of the toss choose which goal to defend, and if he so chooses, does the other captain choose whether to kick or receive?

3. If Team A is moving east to west in the first quarter, does Team A always move west to east in the second and third quarters and then east to west in the fourth? Or are there some circumstances in which this order can be changed?

4. A team scores a touchdown to tie the game as the clock runs out. However, before they can kick the extra point to win, rowdy fans tear down the goalposts. Can the refs move the extra point try to the other end of the field? What if both sets of posts are torn down? Can the refs stand where the goalposts were and judge the kick? Can they move the point try to a practice field?

Thanks!
Old Tue Nov 30, 2004, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

1. Exactly what does the winner of the coin toss get to choose? If he chooses to receive, does the other captain get to choose which direction he will kick?

2. Can the winner of the toss choose which goal to defend, and if he so chooses, does the other captain choose whether to kick or receive?

The team that wins the toss can choose to kick, receive, defer their choice until the 2nd half or choose which end of the field to defend. Those are the 4 choices.

3. If Team A is moving east to west in the first quarter, does Team A always move west to east in the second and third quarters and then east to west in the fourth? Or are there some circumstances in which this order can be changed?

They always change between quarters. The team with the option at half time chooses whether to kick, receive, or the field to defend. So the direction a team is going to begin the 3rd quarter has nothing to do with what happened in the 1st half.

4. A team scores a touchdown to tie the game as the clock runs out. However, before they can kick the extra point to win, rowdy fans tear down the goalposts. Can the refs move the extra point try to the other end of the field? What if both sets of posts are torn down? Can the refs stand where the goalposts were and judge the kick? Can they move the point try to a practice field?

Why do you even ask that question?
Old Tue Nov 30, 2004, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
Please forgive some dumb questions from a baseball/softball umpire, but I can't seem to find answers in my NCAA football rule book:

Thanks!
1) The winner of the toss first has the option of either taking his options now, or deferring them until the second half. The options of both halves are to either receive, kick, or choose a goal. If he chooses to receive, the other team gets to choose which goal they wish to defend.

2) If the winner chooses to exercise his options, and then wishes to choose a goal the opposing team gets to choose rather to receive or kick. In the second half, this team gets to choose rather to receive or kick again. So essentially, if you select to choose a goal you are going to kickoff both halves.

3) There is an automatic switch inbetween the 1st & 2nd and between the 3rd & 4th quarter. However, at half there is not an AUTOMATIC switch. The team that has the second half option can either choose the goal or who would kick off. The other team would have the remaining option.

4) If one is torn down, the Referee can move the try to the other side of the field--using the "God" rule I suppose. If they were both torn down, I have no clue what I'd do. Maybe declare the game a forfeit against the home team?
Old Tue Nov 30, 2004, 09:04pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Philosophy

Quote:

Thanks!
That is 9 questions.

The procedure used in Canada is the same as the procedure BBR outlined. The team that doesn't make the initial choice in the 1st half, does so in the 2nd half.
Old Tue Nov 30, 2004, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the answers, guys. I asked the last question because that very situation occurred years ago in a Princeton-Rutgers game. As I remember, the Rutgers fans tore down the goalposts (both sets), and Princeton was forced to go for 2 but didn't make it, so the game ended in a tie when a kicked point would have won it. (All Rutgers-Princeton games were played at Princeton.)

The "solutions" I offered were those suggested by fans after the game.
Old Tue Nov 30, 2004, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA has attempted to cover this situation in rule 1-2-5-f. Did you look there?

Quote:

Thanks for the answers, guys. I asked the last question because that very situation occurred years ago in a Princeton-Rutgers game. As I remember, the Rutgers fans tore down the goalposts (both sets), and Princeton was forced to go for 2 but didn't make it, so the game ended in a tie when a kicked point would have won it. (All Rutgers-Princeton games were played at Princeton.)

The "solutions" I offered were those suggested by fans after the game.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

Great question!! I've got a great solution! Just have the BJ and the SJ line up normally for an EP. Have BJ hold up his right arm, SJ hold up his left arm. If the ball goes through ... it's GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Did you ever see the basketball game where Shaq tore down the goal. They had to roll out another goal to finish game. NCAA rules also require the school to have a portable goal post that meets the requirements of the rules. See Rule 1 somewhere it mentions the goal posts.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JasonTX
Did you ever see the basketball game where Shaq tore down the goal. They had to roll out another goal to finish game. NCAA rules also require the school to have a portable goal post that meets the requirements of the rules. See Rule 1 somewhere it mentions the goal posts.
this one time at football camp.....