The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Question

NF rules. Am I mistaken, or is illegal procedure always a live ball foul? Ill procedure is covered in 7-2-1, 2, & 3. State championship game and crew blew it dead and the R said "Dead ball, illegal procedure." I think he should have said "false start."
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

NF lumps a lot of fouls under the guise of Illegal Procedure.
While I don't think you are prohibited from saying False Start which is a dead ball foul, the proper call under NF is Illegal Procedure. ASn yes, there are other procedure fouls that are live ball fouls.

NCAA refs do announce the specific foul when using this signal.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

I know a lot of WH's that when they can't think of the proper signal, roll the fists.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey
NF lumps a lot of fouls under the guise of Illegal Procedure.
While I don't think you are prohibited from saying False Start which is a dead ball foul, the proper call under NF is Illegal Procedure. ASn yes, there are other procedure fouls that are live ball fouls.

NCAA refs do announce the specific foul when using this signal.
Are you sure about "a lot" of fouls are ill procedure? Under penalty enforcement only fouls under 7-2-1, 2, 3. This does not cover most of the fouls like this that occur. I know "many" of them are signal 19, but they are tecnically different fouls. This is a minor thing, but I think proper mechanics and penalty reporting are critical to becoming a great official.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Agree, that proper mechanics and reporting of fouls are important, very important.

We sure don't report to the WH and say I have a procedure call on team-A, we tell him exactly the foul. Such as false start, only 6 on the line, snap infraction, etc.
In he turn gives the S19 signal and announces "procedure" as that's what the NF signal chart shows.

Stadium announcers also will say "Procedure" over the PA system.

NF implies by virtue of their signal chart that S19, when used means "Illegal Procedure" and I would expect that if the WH has a microphone that's what he is suppose say. Personally I do not think it is wrong to say False Start or whatever. But if thats what the NF wants that's what we have to do.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli
I know a lot of WH's that when they can't think of the proper signal, roll the fists.
I'd just make up the signal, if you don't kno what it is, very unlikely any of the fans will! lol