The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 30, 2004, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Game Clock is running. A punts the football on fourth down from their own 40. B catches the ball at their own 20 and got tackled inbounds at their own 25. At the snap, A is flagged for illegal formation ( 6 men on the line). B accepts the penalty for illegal formation. A is moved back 5 yards from the previous spot. Does the clock start on the ready?
Old Sun Oct 31, 2004, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

In NF, "clock starts on the snap when either team is awarded a new series following a legal kick.
In NCAA "in all cases the game clock starts on the snap after a legal kick."
Old Sun Oct 31, 2004, 04:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Since the ball became dead inbounds, in the field, and no team was awarded a new series, the clock starts on the ready under fed rules.
Makes no difference whether the clock was running before the play. The snap started a new play and the clock status at the end of that play is what counts.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Sun Oct 31, 2004, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Thanks Jim S. We were using Fed Rules and got it right on the field.
Old Sun Oct 31, 2004, 09:52am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally posted by verticalStripes
Game Clock is running. A punts the football on fourth down from their own 40. B catches the ball at their own 20 and got tackled inbounds at their own 25. At the snap, A is flagged for illegal formation ( 6 men on the line). B accepts the penalty for illegal formation. A is moved back 5 yards from the previous spot. Does the clock start on the ready?
Before the 3 minute warning: on the ready.

After the 3 minute warning: on the snap.
Old Sun Oct 31, 2004, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Arkansas ruling!

During a varsity contest, the clock starts on the snap. During a Jr. High contest the clock starts on the RFP, as per "the 1995-1996 NFHS rules."

I asked our state association to provide me with a copy of the 95-96 rule book b/c I was not calling football then. No response.

I asked for a quotation from the rule book. No luck.

Sometimes I think these guys are really Canadians...

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Sun Oct 31, 2004, 11:36am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Re: Arkansas ruling!

Quote:
Originally posted by jumpmaster
During a varsity contest, the clock starts on the snap. During a Jr. High contest the clock starts on the RFP, as per "the 1995-1996 NFHS rules."

I asked our state association to provide me with a copy of the 95-96 rule book b/c I was not calling football then. No response.

I asked for a quotation from the rule book. No luck.

Sometimes I think these guys are really Canadians...

They would be so lucky.
Old Sun Oct 31, 2004, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
In NF, "clock starts on the snap when either team is awarded a new series following a legal kick.
In NCAA "in all cases the game clock starts on the snap after a legal kick."
+_+ Almost on the NF part. If the kicked ball rolled OOB or if the team-R receiver fair caught the ball, the clock would start on the SNAP if the penalty against team-K was accepted.
Neither team was awarded a new series, but as you hopefully see, the clock still starts on the snap.

JimS posted the correct result.
Old Sun Oct 31, 2004, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Ya, I stated the rules, but really did not answer the question. Jim S is correct.
Old Sun Oct 31, 2004, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Jumpmaster, what you are saying is pretty much what we do. The 'new' timing rules for varsity, and the 'old' timing rules for non-varsity.
Under the old rules you go with the RFP after changes of possession, including after a free kick, as long as the ball remains in the field of play. (I normally use this as the start of a 'faster' clock on blow-outs, It's the least obvious speed-up you can do.)
The rule on this question howver would be the same under BOTH sets of rules. The clock should start on the RFP. Just because there is a kick does not mean that for the next play the clock will start on the snp. There must be a new series for that to happen.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Sun Oct 31, 2004, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim S
The rule on this question howver would be the same under BOTH sets of rules. The clock should start on the RFP. Just because there is a kick does not mean that for the next play the clock will start on the snp. There must be a new series for that to happen.
Sorry - my mistake. I thought the question referred to R after the new series was awarded.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass