The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Knees on goal line (https://forum.officiating.com/football/16154-knees-goal-line.html)

OverAndBack Wed Oct 27, 2004 09:29pm

Bizarre play today in junior high game. Besides the 80-yard field mentioned in the other thread.

Team A driving towards the goal. They throw a pass to the goal line. A2 is already on his knees at the goal line, with his actual kneecaps in the field of play (not behind the goal line) when he catches the ball.

Player's down right when he establishes possession, right? Ball never broke the plane (that I could see, the play was about 20 yards long and I couldn't get to the goal line in a 2-man game to see).

At first I thought touchdown (I'm a rookie - shoot me) because, quite frankly, I wasn't prepared for that to happen. Referee says no, we're going from right there, a few inches away. Completion, first down and goal, right there (and for good measure, since we had that sloping upward end zone, we moved it out just outside the ten and pretended the 10 was the goal line just for that series). A scored anyway.

But if I ever see that again (God, I hope not), somebody hit me with a ruling so I can look all worldly and wise and stuff.

James Neil Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:54pm

Quote:

Originally posted by OverAndBack

But if I ever see that again (God, I hope not), somebody hit me with a ruling so I can look all worldly and wise and stuff.

Try using NF 8-2-1a "It is a touchdown when a runner advances from the field of play so that the ball penetrates the vertical plane of the opponent s goal line".

cowbyfan1 Thu Oct 28, 2004 04:35am

If his knees where just outside the goal line when he caught the ball and he is facing the LOS then common sense would say down just short of the line. This also depends on if the player is leaning back, forward, etc.

mcrowder Thu Oct 28, 2004 08:10am

I can see why you started at the 10, but I think I wouldn't have done that. What would you have done if there was a turnover and B returned the ball? The obvious answer is that you'd have moved it back 10 yards after the return. Would have looked sloppy, but I think your coaches may have gotten it. But what if B scored? Still a score? Or down at the 10. What if B crossed what it thought was the goalline, and A) stopped running and was tackled (is that a late hit? Do you spot him inside the 10 or give the score - he slowed because he crossed what was labelled as the GL) or B) dropped the ball, thinking he'd scored, and the ball was recovered in the EZ (which is actually the area between the 0 and 10, since you "owe" A 10 yards)?

Too many oddities that might occur. Play it from the spot that they got to next time. The slope affects both teams, so ignore it.

OverAndBack Thu Oct 28, 2004 08:33am

Hopefully I won't see that field again. :)

cmathews Thu Oct 28, 2004 09:18am

The chances of a kid catching the ball with is knees on the ground and being straight up are pretty remote. Those reading this, get down on your knees and pretend you are going to catch a pass...you probably aren't right above your kneecaps...if the kid is falling forward then I would spot it short but the way it sounds (without seeing it live) I would say its pretty tough not to have a touchdown, my guess is the kid was "sitting" on his heels, this would have put the ball across the plane....IMHO...

OverAndBack Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:10am

See, this is what I thought. In my mind, if your kneecaps are on one side of a 2-inch (or whatever it is) line and you're not straight up, the ball is likely over the goal line.

But does the "knee down - player down" principle apply here or not? I'm so confused. I think the opposing coach was saying he was down as soon as he caught the ball, which may be true, but he may have been down with the ball in the end zone). I thought it was a TD. The referee, more seasoned than I, said no. There was no complaint. I was inclined to say TD, but I'm the rookie, I'm going to defer since I don't know for sure and that's why I came here to ask you guys. :)

cmathews Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:43am

Yeah, the coach was right he was down, but if you look at forward progress, and touchdown definitions, if the ball broke the plane it should have been a TD, but in your shoes I would have done the same thing, defer to the power so to speak...

chiefgil Thu Oct 28, 2004 09:34pm

Get on the bus

You can drive a Greyhound bus into the end zone; but if the ball ain't on the bus, it ain't a touchdown.

The ball must break the plane.

waltjp Fri Oct 29, 2004 06:52am

I recently witnessed a similar play on a punt. The balled sailed over the head of the receiver, bounced, and started rolling toward the goal line.

Several K players circled the ball and one of the kneeled at the goal line so his knees were still in the field and his feet were in the end zone. He caught the ball in his hands when it rolled to him.

From my vantage point (U - trailing the play) it didn't appear that the ball crossed the goal line. Our BJ blew it dead and signaled Touchback.

During halftime I asked the BJ what happened and he explained that the K player had his feet in the end zone.

Uh…okay.

I guessed he sensed where I was going with this and later stated that the ball was in the end zone.

Snake~eyes Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:54am

Quote:

Originally posted by waltjp
I recently witnessed a similar play on a punt. The balled sailed over the head of the receiver, bounced, and started rolling toward the goal line.

Several K players circled the ball and one of the kneeled at the goal line so his knees were still in the field and his feet were in the end zone. He caught the ball in his hands when it rolled to him.

From my vantage point (U - trailing the play) it didn't appear that the ball crossed the goal line. Our BJ blew it dead and signaled Touchback.

During halftime I asked the BJ what happened and he explained that the K player had his feet in the end zone.

Uh…okay.

I guessed he sensed where I was going with this and later stated that the ball was in the end zone.

Maybe he's just getting ready to work NFL. ;)

cmathews Sat Oct 30, 2004 09:15pm

Re: Get on the bus

Quote:

Originally posted by chiefgil
You can drive a Greyhound bus into the end zone; but if the ball ain't on the bus, it ain't a touchdown.

The ball must break the plane.

what is your point???

Bob M. Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:31am

Quote:

Originally posted by OverAndBack
See, this is what I thought. In my mind, if your kneecaps are on one side of a 2-inch (or whatever it is) line and you're not straight up, the ball is likely over the goal line.

But does the "knee down - player down" principle apply here or not? I'm so confused. I think the opposing coach was saying he was down as soon as he caught the ball, which may be true, but he may have been down with the ball in the end zone). I thought it was a TD. The referee, more seasoned than I, said no. There was no complaint. I was inclined to say TD, but I'm the rookie, I'm going to defer since I don't know for sure and that's why I came here to ask you guys. :)

REPLY: O&B...from the way you described this play, I'd really be interested in knowing how your R could possibly have felt that he was in a good position to make the call.

OverAndBack Mon Nov 01, 2004 03:37pm

I could not begin to tell you. Except for the fact that he'd been at this a while, and I was finishing my first year. I'm simply not going to open that can of worms.