The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

A quick note to thank all of the seasoned veteran officials here for being patient with some of us 'New Guys' and our simple questions these past few months. It has been a great first season as a football official and I owe much of it to the forum and it's posters.

At our last weekly meeting we were told none of the first year officials would be working any of the playoff games and I must admit I was a little disappointed at first. Even though I knew we had enough veteran guys who've put in their years and which would get the games before we would, I wanted to be told I would be part of a crew for a playoff game. Who doesn't, right?

I can understand the reasoning behind the decision and agree with it too. But hey, I'll get them in the future!

Had a great season and I'm anxiously looking forward to the next football season.

Thanks guys! Now I need to head over to the basketball forums and start looking through the archives. Hopefully basketball will be as much fun working as football was.

WyMike
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Glad you had a good first year! This is my third year back, and I haven't gotten a playoff game yet, so don't feel bad, stick with it and your time will come. Officiating is a great challenge and a lot of fun!
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to New AZ Ref
I agree, I have learned a lot from this and the other forums.

I still have a few weeks of Pee-Wee leagues and I even get to WH a Jr. High game due to all the experienced officals working playoff games on Saturday. (Wish me luck)

Some of our 2nd year guys are getting low level playoff games, so it is something to look forward to.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 03:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
most of the time you need 5 years in to see varsity playoffs in Oklahoma. I do know of a few younger ones that have worked low level tho.
I personally worked young kids playoffs since my first year. I would start looking there first.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Thu Oct 28, 2004, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

MHSAA

In Michigan, you need a minimum of 16 Varsity ratings, with an average rating of 3 or better to get post season bids. It's my 2nd year and I got my first varsity gig this year. It seems it will be awhile until I get post season work, since getting varsity games, and thus, ratings from varsity coaches requires alot of "networking" with A.D.s who don't know me and my crew from Adam yet.

Jayseef
Old Thu Oct 28, 2004, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Move to Wyoming. My second game was Varsity.

But as a bone, I am working the 'Superbowl' of the Adult Flag Football League tonight.

6 man all passing and full of Angry Young Guys whom missed their D-1 calling from some mysterious high school injury. Otherwise, how could they NOT have been a star running back or receiver for a large school with pretty, buxom, blonde co-eds. Some might even think they could have been at some NFL workout camp.

Gotta go Oxi-Clean my flag....
Old Thu Oct 28, 2004, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

I believe in GA you've got to put in a minimum of 5 years before getting in the playoffs.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SouthGARef
I believe in GA you've got to put in a minimum of 5 years before getting in the playoffs.
Serve a minimum of 5 years? Shoot, you could be out on parole in under 5 years with good behavior if... er... well maybe not in GA. Nevermind! ;-)