The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Got into a discussion here at work and dont have a rule book handy. I am curious about Time-outs in Overtime, I remember reading that overtimes not used from the final regulation period carries over into the overtime period, but do unused timeouts jsut accumulate in OT, or is there just one (for all OT periods played) plus remaining TO's. I cant remember off hand how TO's work in OT period.
Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

NFHS

You're right, any unused timeouts from the 2nd half carry over to overtime plus 1 timeout for each overtime period played. So if a team ends the game with 1 timeout, they will start overtime with 2. If they don't use any of those, they would start the 2nd overtime with 3, and so on...

[Edited by Patton on Oct 21st, 2004 at 02:39 PM]
Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Remember in Texas they use NCAA rules, and NCAA rules do not carry over 2nd half timeouts.
Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Patton
NFHS

You're right, any unused timeouts from the 2nd half carry over to overtime plus 1 timeout for each overtime period played. So if a team ends the game with 1 timeout, they will start overtime with 2. If they don't use any of those, they would start the 2nd overtime with 3, and so on...

Not true.

Unused timeouts from OT periods do NOT accumulate. Each team gets one timeout per overtime period, plus any regular game unused timeouts.

If a team ends the game with 1 timeout, they will start the first overtime with 2. If they don't use either of those, they would start the 2nd overtime with 2, one for the OT and one carried over. When used, there is no distinction whether the timeout used was from the game or the OT so you may carry over all but one. A team that carries over all 3 of its regular game timeouts will never have more than four timeouts in any OT period, whether it's the first OT or the tenth OT.
Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Middleman
Quote:
NFHS

Not true.

Unused timeouts from OT periods do NOT accumulate. Each team gets one timeout per overtime period, plus any regular game unused timeouts.

If a team ends the game with 1 timeout, they will start the first overtime with 2. If they don't use either of those, they would start the 2nd overtime with 2, one for the OT and one carried over. When used, there is no distinction whether the timeout used was from the game or the OT so you may carry over all but one. A team that carries over all 3 of its regular game timeouts will never have more than four timeouts in any OT period, whether it's the first OT or the tenth OT.
Where are you finding that in the book. It says nothing of that in 3-5 of the rule book, and in "resolving tied game" (in the back) it only states 3-5-1 "each team shall be permitted on additional TO during each OT period, plus any unused 2nd half TO's."
It doesn't say anywhere you cannot end up with more than 4.
Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

I believe what I stated is correct as it is written in the NFHS rule book. It states "Each team shall be permitted one additional time-out during each overtime period (a series for A and a series for B) plus any unused second-half regulation game time-outs". However, we all know that individual states may modify overtime procedures. So what may be true for me might not be for the next.
Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
Quote:
Originally posted by Middleman
Quote:
NFHS

Not true.

Where are you finding that in the book. It says nothing of that in 3-5 of the rule book, and in "resolving tied game" (in the back) it only states 3-5-1 "each team shall be permitted on additional TO during each OT period, plus any unused 2nd half TO's."
It doesn't say anywhere you cannot end up with more than 4.
I agree with Middleman. The key wording in the "Resolving Tied Games" section of the rule book is "..shall be permitted ONE additional time-out DURING each overtime period....". It does not say 1 FOR each OT period. It means 1 additional IN each OT period plus those remaining from the 2nd half.

This exact question came up several years ago in NC. The NCHSAA Supervisor of Officials interpreted this the same as Middleman's has, and I agree. I was one of the few who initially thought this was the correct ruling.
Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Your dialogue is exactly the point we began to discuss.... Obviously there is interpretation of what is being stated in the rule book. I guess the key question at the moment is the definition of an overtime period. According to "Resolving tied games" ( I now have the rule book open at home) 3-5-1 states that each team shall be premitted one additonal time out during EACH overtime period (a series for A and a series for B) plus any second half timeouts. This would mean then that each team would accumulate a TO for each overtime period plus any hold overs. At the beginning of the resolving tied games section it also states the general definiton of an overtime period as mutual possesions on offense.
It is my conclusion that if Team A had 2 TO's from the regulation game and played two more overtime periods and did not use a TO, Team A would have 5 (2+2+1) timeouts when they started the third overtime period.

I believe the key word is not "during" but is the word "each" overtime period.
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Texoma_LJ
Your dialogue is exactly the point we began to discuss.... Obviously there is interpretation of what is being stated in the rule book. I guess the key question at the moment is the definition of an overtime period. According to "Resolving tied games" ( I now have the rule book open at home) 3-5-1 states that each team shall be premitted one additonal time out during EACH overtime period (a series for A and a series for B) plus any second half timeouts. This would mean then that each team would accumulate a TO for each overtime period plus any hold overs. At the beginning of the resolving tied games section it also states the general definiton of an overtime period as mutual possesions on offense.
It is my conclusion that if Team A had 2 TO's from the regulation game and played two more overtime periods and did not use a TO, Team A would have 5 (2+2+1) timeouts when they started the third overtime period.

I believe the key word is not "during" but is the word "each" overtime period.
So then we agree that we disagree :-)
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Wow, good arguments for both sides. Even though the procedure in the rule book is only an example of what a state association may adopt, and so may be different from state to state, I would have to agree with the guys who say they accumulate, because of the word "additional". But again, everyone has to check with thier state association to see what their ruling is.
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Our state association has made it clear that we use the no more than 4 concept. We don't carry over TO's from previous OT's. If there is one left at the end of the 1st OT, that team will only have one for the remaining rounds of OT. We also go from the 20 instead of the 10 y/l. Check with your state interpreter to get the correct answer for your area.
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Louisiana

LHSAA:

One TO per team per OT period, plus any TOs left from the second half or previous TO period. Each team shall have no more than two TOs per OT period.