The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_57092.asp

I don't agree with this guy talking to the media. He should let his supervisor or assigning officer talk to the press if they want to get a statement.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

I agree with you. As a member of our board here in Maryland, you are forbidden to speak to the press about games. I'm sure that he got permission before talking to the newspaper, but I don't know if the officials should have discussed openly like that.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Not only should he not have talked to the newspaper but he just showed again that his rule knowledge isn't so great.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Nice to read fun things going on back in the area I attended high school. I agree with the rest of you, he should not be speaking to the media. Either Red Bank's coach or the state official should have been the one talking. I'm not sure that the answer of a communication problem is the true situation. As a white hat, I always talk to the reporting member of our crew and go over with them what we are going to do. I would have thought that someone on the crew would have caught the problem. The ref must have given the signal for personal foul twice. Just another example of not slowing down and getting it right.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 04:08pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Not only should he not have talked to the newspaper but he just showed again that his rule knowledge isn't so great.
Well, it sounds as though he was talking about calling intentional pass interference.

Too fast, too fast. I almost did a similar thing earlier this season, but my U slowed me down -- it's easy to confuse a face mask or a RTP enforcement with DPI. With the former two fouls, you WOULD tack on the yards, but with DPI you get one or the other unless the play results in a score.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

We had a situation up here--

I do not know what happened, but there was a error by the crew. A camera man asked a member of a crew what the problem was, and the crew member told him "we screwed up." Needless to say, that was the end of talking to the media by officials.

Only the association president, interpreter, etc. should speak to the media.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2004, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
it's easy to confuse a face mask or a RTP enforcement with DPI. With the former two fouls, you WOULD tack on the yards, but with DPI you get one or the other unless the play results in a score.
Rich, I have a problem with the way you said this, the face mask is not always added to the end of the run, if the face mask occurred during the loose ball play part of the play, your only option would be accept the result of the play or replay with yardage from the previous spot. RTP is the only penalty that can always be added to the end of the run, even if it occurs during a loose ball play portion of the play.

I apologize if I am being overly retentive.

VL
Old Wed Oct 20, 2004, 04:32am
Small Business Owner

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BulldogMcC
Quote:
RTP is the only penalty that can always be added to the end of the run, even if it occurs during a loose ball play portion of the play.
BulldogMcC-
You are quoting directly from the rulebook. Rich only uses the rulebook as a guideline.
To quote Rich:
Yeah, sure. Whatever. And the best officials are the ones that know how to manage a game properly, not necessarily the ones that score the highest on the exam...

...If you want to be preachy about the rule book, go right ahead. I know the rules and study the rules often. But I don't think that the words are words on a sacred scroll or anything like that.

--Rich

When officials take this type of attitude towards the rulebook, enforcement errors (such as tacking a facemask foul onto the end of a loose ball play) are commonplace. Perhaps someday Rich will realize the rulebook IS a sacred scroll when it comes to penalty enforcement. AS most of us already know, while managing a game is important, a good white hat must also have a firm grasp on the rules.
Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 02:21am
Official Forum Member

KWH,

Did I miss a deleted post or was this from another topic?
Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 08:50am
Get away from me, Steve.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KWH
Quote:
Originally posted by BulldogMcC
Quote:
RTP is the only penalty that can always be added to the end of the run, even if it occurs during a loose ball play portion of the play.
BulldogMcC-
You are quoting directly from the rulebook. Rich only uses the rulebook as a guideline.
To quote Rich:
Yeah, sure. Whatever. And the best officials are the ones that know how to manage a game properly, not necessarily the ones that score the highest on the exam...

...If you want to be preachy about the rule book, go right ahead. I know the rules and study the rules often. But I don't think that the words are words on a sacred scroll or anything like that.

--Rich

When officials take this type of attitude towards the rulebook, enforcement errors (such as tacking a facemask foul onto the end of a loose ball play) are commonplace. Perhaps someday Rich will realize the rulebook IS a sacred scroll when it comes to penalty enforcement. AS most of us already know, while managing a game is important, a good white hat must also have a firm grasp on the rules.
Nonsense. Who EVER SAID I was tacking a face mask onto a loose ball play? Someone else said that, NOT ME. The first poster was being overly anal (it's pretty clear I'm talking about a face mask in combination with a related run) and KWH is using stuff from another posting to try to make me look bad. I'm not going to consider EVERY POSSIBLE contingency when making a comment.

Say what you want, but the number one quality of a white hat is being able to manage a game. I've seen rules misapplied and penalties misenforced before (and have been on crews where such has happened). Many times NOBODY notices, with the exception of the crew in the car after the game. Doesn't excuse it, certainly, and I do my best to make sure we get everything right on the field.

While I strive to be the best WH I can be, I recognize that some passages in the rulebook and the mechanics manual are suggestions or are things that don't necessarily occur everywhere. I accept that.

Others can continue to quote books and follow up with "Nuff Said" like that has any meaning.

--Rich
Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 08:52am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by BulldogMcC
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
it's easy to confuse a face mask or a RTP enforcement with DPI. With the former two fouls, you WOULD tack on the yards, but with DPI you get one or the other unless the play results in a score.
Rich, I have a problem with the way you said this, the face mask is not always added to the end of the run, if the face mask occurred during the loose ball play part of the play, your only option would be accept the result of the play or replay with yardage from the previous spot. RTP is the only penalty that can always be added to the end of the run, even if it occurs during a loose ball play portion of the play.

I apologize if I am being overly retentive.

VL
The play I was thinking about was a completed pass with DPI. I had confused the enforcement once with the penalty for a face mask on the run after catch. But we all make mistakes and fortunately, the umpire stopped me and made me rethink things.

Mistakes happen when you try to go too fast.
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

What's with the association up there? It said at the ned of the article that a team was given five downs against this team also. Is their coach an *** or something?