The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Rookie question here:

I've been having problems lately (mostly in two-man, but occasionally three man) as a wing with coaches and players saying there should be some holding calls being made.

They haven't done much passing, so it's mostly on running plays.

If a ball carrier is coming your way on a sweep or an off-tackle play, do you not watch the ball carrier (because you're going to have to get the spot)? Do you have to keep him in one corner of your eye and watch blockers for holding or other illegal blocks? Is this a skill that you just get better at? I can open up wide and keep the play in front of me, but as a wing sometimes there's only so far back you can go (especially if the play starts on the hash on your side).

When the ball goes to the other side, I try to let the covering official take care of the spot and stuff, and clean up behind the play to see if there's anything (though if it's behind the play, if it's just incidental, do you worry about it at all other than a talk-to?)

Just curious what the veterans think. Had some chirping tonight and I have another game tomorrow, and I want to know how to get better at this.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.