The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 12, 2004, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to MI Official Send a message via Skype™ to MI Official
Thumbs down

Had a close game friday between 2 rivals, in a storm that was amazing(just rain). The home team has two late hit oob calls on them. after the 2nd, the coach says that it was bull sh@t, and are we really going to call that with the scored tied? I tell him yes, score is irrelevent. He then said the field was wet and that the call was still garbage. So I said to him, "if its wet, then they can lay-out anyone when ever they want?" and the coach said, "Yes!"

Thank god is was just an ***'t.
Old Tue Oct 12, 2004, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to MI Official Send a message via Skype™ to MI Official
Talking last word is...

assistant (hyphenated--got edited)
Old Tue Oct 12, 2004, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MI Official
Had a close game friday between 2 rivals, in a storm that was amazing(just rain). The home team has two late hit oob calls on them. after the 2nd, the coach says that it was bull sh@t, and are we really going to call that with the scored tied? I tell him yes, score is irrelevent. He then said the field was wet and that the call was still garbage. So I said to him, "if its wet, then they can lay-out anyone when ever they want?" and the coach said, "Yes!"

Thank god is was just an ***'t.
I was doing a small college game a few years ago. A home team player was injured and it was taking a long time for the medical staff to attend to him on the field. The visiting head coach yelled out, "Get him off the field!"

After hearing that and deciding that was the stupidest thing I've ever heard a coach say, it was with great satisfaction that I heard that he was fired after the season. He was a total jerk and every crew had flagged him sometime during the season.
Old Tue Oct 12, 2004, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Is it okay to roll your eyes and sigh at coaches, or not?
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Tue Oct 12, 2004, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OverAndBack
I wouldn't recommend it for HS, I got no problem doing it in peewee.
Old Tue Oct 12, 2004, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Quote:
No but saying "Coach, are you going to set an example for your kids or are you going home early tonight?" is perfectly acceptable...in baseball. In football, make sure you get a good flag in on them first, then the state is happy with you.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Tue Oct 12, 2004, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

After the coach has said his piece and you are looking at him give him a smile they really love that.
Old Tue Oct 12, 2004, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Or can you do like that commercial and just say, "Thank you?"

I would think that would drive him nuts, but what could he say?
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Tue Oct 12, 2004, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Or can you do like that commercial and just say, "Thank you?"

I would think that would drive him nuts, but what could he say?
That's my personal favorite.

"That call is horrible?! How the #Q$@ can you make such a horse---- call?!?!"

"Thanks for your input coach." And walk away. Drive's em nuts.
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 06:44am
Official Forum Member

Just make sure you pause thoughtfully beforehand, and then deliver the line as sincerely as possible.
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

Hey guys, just remember that "Silence can not be misquoted". That's a favorite saying of a Supervisor of mine.

Although you might be tempted to get the last word in, it usually doesn't pay to get into a peeing match with a coach. Treat 'em professionally and expect to be treated that way yourself. If they cross the line (after you've made clear where the line is), then flag 'em and move on. But you can usually head that off before it gets to that point.

And if a program is notoriously bad, then just don't work for them. You might not have that option if you are assigned your games, but most of the time you do.
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

the perverbial STOP SIGN is a great way to keep from saying something you'll regret later. This weekend, I told a coach that "I'll work harder" and he had the nerve to say, "thank you". Although sometimes it's really hard to resist.
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Last night, 8th grade. Delay of Game on the Home team offense (even with my generous 8th grade stopwatch). VISITING coach goes nuts. "What an awful call! How can you call that at this age! Jesus Christ!!! Make sure you call that both ways!!!!" I was R. My only response was, "Yes sir". I'm told that he figured out what an idiot he was about 1 play later, and he and HL were laughing about it.