The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 27, 2004, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

We had a situation last Friday where on a kickoff after a touchdown, the kicker kicks the ball to the goal line. As the person catches the ball which is clearly in front of the goal line, his back foot steps backward into the end zone. Our white hat did not call a touchback and allowed the runner to proceed. As it turned out he fumbled on the 18 and the opponent threw a touchdown pass on the next play. The coach came to us at halftime screaming that the kickoff should have been a touchback. Were we correct in not calling a touchback and allowing the runner to return the ball?
Old Mon Sep 27, 2004, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Not having seeing the play I would say you were correct. The BALL must break the plane of the goal line. The WH should have probably put a bean bag down at the one yard line to mark momentum if the player would have continued to retreat and try and run the ball out of the endzone.

It is bascially the same for a free kick as it is a scrimmage kick under your play.
Old Mon Sep 27, 2004, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
8-5-3(a)(1):
It is a touchback when any free kick or scrimmage kick which is not a scoring attempt or which is a grounded three-point field-goal attempt, breaks the plane of R's goal line unless R chooses a spot of first touching by K.
Unless the ball broke the plane then it was a good call and no touchback.
Old Mon Sep 27, 2004, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Remember, this is not the NFL. The position of the player is completely irrelevant (this applies when downing punts too. K player could be laying down, entirely in the endzone, with just his pinky in play... and if he stops the ball from breaking the plan of the EZ, it's not a touchback.)
Old Mon Sep 27, 2004, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Your WH made a good call. Believe me, that coach would not be screaming if the kid hangs on to the ball and goes 99 yards with it.
Old Mon Sep 27, 2004, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Deep
Your WH made a good call. Believe me, that coach would not be screaming if the kid hangs on to the ball and goes 99 yards with it.
exactly my thoughts, good call.
Old Mon Sep 27, 2004, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

About 3 yrs ago we had R catch the ball on their own 2 yard line and he begins his return by circling back into the end zone. The next thing we have is R trying a reverse on about the goal line and the fumble the exchange and the kicking team recovers in the endzone for a touchdown.

Get ready for the pat and my U says I think the coach wants to have a conference with you.

So my LJ and I head over to the sideline. He says he thought it should have been a touch back. I explained the kick it self did not put the ball into the endzone but his kids return and attempted reverse.

To his dismay he looked at us and said "I dont like that call, but we have nobody to blame but ourselves."