The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 25, 2004, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Our varsity game went well last night. A couple of rivals but the home team was in a down year. Visitors win 35 - 14 and both coaches are fine all night. But I had one of those "your kidding" moments with a couple of assistants from the visitors. Head coach was smart enough to stay out of it. After the visitors scored midway through the 4th quater to make it 28 - 14, the kickoff fools the returner just a bit. As the white hat, I have a good view of him back up from the 5 to the goal, realize he is back a bit far, and dive for the ball. His dive is just a bit short and he only has the ability while laying on the ground to deflect the ball. The ball rolls a few feet away, he gets up, pick up the ball and runs to the 22. The visitors assistants are screaming at me that he was down on the 3. Thier claim, he can't touch the ball while on the ground and not be down. I tried to explain the whole muff idea. That went nowhere. So I asked the assistant what he would have wanted me to do if his team had come down and recovered the ball after he had touched it. His answer, our ball. But you just told me he was down. At the glazed look, I blew the ready. Nothing like talking to assistant coaches.
Old Sat Sep 25, 2004, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Not a coach, but had a light moment last night with a player. On one of the home teams 9 kickoffs (3 inside the last 4 minutes of the half, but that's another story), I run the ball back up from the end zone and hand it to the kicker, a 6'2" 250 lb freshman center/PK. I hand him the ball and say, "Between the uprights 75, eh?". He turns and looks behind him at his own team's goal posts. I say, "Umm, 75, those uprights" as I point over my shoulder towards R's end zone. "He heee. Oh" as he tees up the ball.

The house is big, but that attic aint too full.

Old Sat Sep 25, 2004, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Varsity game last night. Visitors have the ball around A's 35 (this is an 8 man game and field: 80 yards). A passes to a receiver running a down and out about 15 yards downfield. As the ball sails just out of reach of the receiver, one defender contacts the receiver from behind, near the shoulders, while a second defender contacts the receiver just below the waist from in front. The visiting coach screams, "that's a high - low, where's the flag?"

After the play, the coach calms down a bit, then comes up behind me and (in a slightly hushed voice), says, "that was the epitome of a high - low."

The same coach had complained in the pregame meeting about the home team "chop blocking." After discussing it, it was clear he thought any block below the waist was a "chop block." Thought we cleared that up, but on that pass play he obviously wanted a "chop block" called on what amounted to two defenders tackling the would be runner, (had he possessed the ball).

The guy was in my ear all night. He crossed the line in the 4th Q and got an USC. After that he kept his comments mostly to himself. I'm guessing he still doesn't know what a chop block is.
Old Sat Sep 25, 2004, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

I didn't work last night, but listened to a game on radio. My new favorite Radio PBP goof is now this:

The QB threw a pass and I'm guessing that he read the body language that the QB was simply throwing the ball away. The guy goes "Well the QB was smart enough to roll outside of the tackle box before throwing the ball away to avoid getting an intentional grounding penalty." I loved every minute of it.

I'm just hoping that the officials on the play weren't thinking the same thing as the radio announcer.
Old Sat Sep 25, 2004, 08:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I was WH in a varsity game last night. In the first quarter, I had 2 roughing the passers, one USC, and another personal foul. Myself. All against the visiting team. Other than that, it was a 41-0 cakewalk and I saw myself in the prep highlights on TV for the second week in a row.

Today was a doozy, though. Working an 8th grader youth game as the WH in a 3-man. I notice a defender stick an end on the line and I make sure to remind him, essentially, that this isn't the NFL when I hear one of his coaches yelling for him to stick the receiver "in the first five yards."

Later in the game, the kid told the coach what I said and he came out telling me that he could run any formation he wanted. Never understood what I was saying, but got an USC for his troubles.
Old Sat Sep 25, 2004, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

interesting but it turned out alright

Had an unusual out of town double header last nite. Soph game followed by the varsity game. During the soph game I have an Intentional grounding...whent he qb throws the ball I look around see no one, ask my line judge if there is anyone in the area he says no, so I drop the flag...the qb uses the "I was out of the pocket" I remind him that we aren't in that league yet...but from beside the endzone I hear "why don't you wait a little longer to throw that flag"...low and behold it is the varsity head coach... from a fan, or from the soph coaches I wouldn't have had a second thought about this comment it would have gone in one ear and out the other...but the varsity coach standing there as a fan got my ire up...I said thats enough I don't want to hear any more...to which he asks what took so long to throw the flag, maybe I should have waited till tomorrow...I tell him if he wants to watch the rest of the game he needs to do so silently...and we go about the game... when I go to introduce myself to the varsity coaches before the game He says..."yeah I think we have already met...I will be on my best behavior.." so we had a laugh about it and all went well....well except that he got throttled....63-0 LOL.....
Old Sun Sep 26, 2004, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

The next time he asked you why you didn't call somthing did you telll him you were waiting for tomorrow?
Old Sun Sep 26, 2004, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Seriously I thought about it....but he was pretty quiet...he and his team have bigger issues.... a lot of internal strife there LOL... he was mad at last weeks crew though, they wouldn't let him take his headset on the field, so when we let the other coach do it this week, and he pointed it out, to which we said, it is legal no problem, players are the only ones who can't, he left us alone cause he was upset with the guys last week LOL
Old Mon Sep 27, 2004, 03:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
I was WH in my game friday night. We had a 5 yard facemask against the home team. I gave the signal and held up 5 fingers (yes I know not really proper). The defensive coach yells to me they don't have a number 5 on the field. I said "that is a 5 yard penalty coach. It was 68 with the facemask." He said "oh". Kids for the home team started laughing and commented that their coach forgot his medicine.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Mon Sep 27, 2004, 07:41am
Ref Ump Welsch

kentref,

Sounds like the same coach we popped for a USC a couple of weeks ago. He was complaining that we weren't calling the chop blocks on the other team all game, finally made a comment in the 4th quarter about our umpire and yellow hankies flying all over the place.
Old Mon Sep 27, 2004, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

My varsity game was moved to Saturday afternoon in the aftermath of Hurricane Ivan. I was the linesman. Late in the game, with the visitors taking a severe beating, the WH drops a flag during a play by the home team. After the play, the WH waves off the flag. Assistant coach for the hapless visitors asks what the flag was for. I replied "I don't know." He says I should go ask the WH. My response: "I don't know why he dropped the flag, but I do know what he had, nothing, that is why he waved it off." Coach, " We want the penalty!" Me, "Coach, there is no penalty, but if there were one I believe it was against your team." That ended the discussion.
Old Mon Oct 11, 2004, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

The stupid things coaches say...

Coaches will say the darndest things. On Friday night we had a varsity game in which the home team was ahead by 19 points with about 3 minutes remaining in the game. The home team was on defense and the visitors were trying in vain to pass themselves back into the game at which point B intercepts the ball. Unfortunately B was also guilty of defensive holding prior to the pass and A accepted the penalty, thus keeping possession of the ball. On the next play A throws a long pass down field and two B defenders go up with the A receiver. All three collide in the air and come down in a heap. Upon landing one of the B defenders breaks his leg...a really nasty break too.

The BJ immediately calls for an official's TO and signals for the B coach and medical staff. On his way out on the field, the B coach turns to we officials and tells us "This is your fault! If you hadn't called that defensive holding penalty this never would've happened." To say we were flabbergasted by this statement is and understatement. After a nearly 15 minute delay while they player is being attended to medically and taken off the field on a stretcher, we finally resumed the game and it finished with the home team winning by 19. On our way off the field, we are confronted by two more assistant coaches from the home team and they repeat the same thing the head coach said to us. I guess they never stopped for a minute to reflect that it was their decision to leave this player in the game with a 19 point lead.

Besides that, this was the whiniest bunch of coaches I've ever worked with. I was working the LJ position so I had the "pleasure" of sharing a sideline with them. I kid you not, they begged for a penalty on EVERY single play all night long. Funny, never once were the penalties they asked for on their own team. I've often felt tempted to tell them that the only way I'll listen to their requests is if they are equitable in assigning them to each team 50-50.
Old Mon Oct 11, 2004, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Ump Welsch
kentref,

Sounds like the same coach we popped for a USC a couple of weeks ago. He was complaining that we weren't calling the chop blocks on the other team all game, finally made a comment in the 4th quarter about our umpire and yellow hankies flying all over the place.
Ref Ump Welsch:
I was referring to the Hamburg coach. Same one you had?

Old Mon Oct 11, 2004, 05:04pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: The stupid things coaches say...

Quote:
Originally posted by MN BB Ref
Coaches will say the darndest things. On Friday night we had a varsity game in which the home team was ahead by 19 points with about 3 minutes remaining in the game. The home team was on defense and the visitors were trying in vain to pass themselves back into the game at which point B intercepts the ball. Unfortunately B was also guilty of defensive holding prior to the pass and A accepted the penalty, thus keeping possession of the ball. On the next play A throws a long pass down field and two B defenders go up with the A receiver. All three collide in the air and come down in a heap. Upon landing one of the B defenders breaks his leg...a really nasty break too.

The BJ immediately calls for an official's TO and signals for the B coach and medical staff. On his way out on the field, the B coach turns to we officials and tells us "This is your fault! If you hadn't called that defensive holding penalty this never would've happened." To say we were flabbergasted by this statement is and understatement. After a nearly 15 minute delay while they player is being attended to medically and taken off the field on a stretcher, we finally resumed the game and it finished with the home team winning by 19. On our way off the field, we are confronted by two more assistant coaches from the home team and they repeat the same thing the head coach said to us. I guess they never stopped for a minute to reflect that it was their decision to leave this player in the game with a 19 point lead.

Besides that, this was the whiniest bunch of coaches I've ever worked with. I was working the LJ position so I had the "pleasure" of sharing a sideline with them. I kid you not, they begged for a penalty on EVERY single play all night long. Funny, never once were the penalties they asked for on their own team. I've often felt tempted to tell them that the only way I'll listen to their requests is if they are equitable in assigning them to each team 50-50.
This has to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard a coach say. On the field, I would've been really tempted to tack 15 yards on once the kid was off the field.
Old Mon Oct 11, 2004, 06:34pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Axe Man
His answer, our ball. But you just told me he was down. At the glazed look, I blew the ready. Nothing like talking to assistant coaches.
Classic. Maybe we do know what we're talking about.