The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

This happened during tonight's Monday Night game. Philadelphia is the offense, Minnesota is the defense. Phildelphia's QB (McNabb) received a hand-to-hand snap, threw a backward pass to a RB, and after the RB scrambled he threw a pass to McNabb (he wanted to throw to someone else, but I guess he was covered).

Apparently in the NFL if the QB received the snap under center, he is an not eligible receiver, but he is eligible if he receives a shot gun snap. What kind of rule is this? And I though the NF had a ton of crazy rules.
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 10:22pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I'm watching the game as well, and my understanding is that the NFL has way more weird rules than other rulesets do. And if you thought that was bad, I've heard that the timing rule sn the NFL are very odd.
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
I'm watching the game as well, and my understanding is that the NFL has way more weird rules than other rulesets do. And if you thought that was bad, I've heard that the timing rule sn the NFL are very odd.
Yes, they have many (MANY) wierd rules. With re. to timing, I think if it't not under 5 minutes in the half, the clock stops when the player goes OOB, but it starts again when the ball is ready for play, but it stops until the snap if its under 5 min. in the half. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 10:42pm

Looks like the long bomb TD to Owens was not a TD - he was down at the half yard line.

Edit: I wuz just gunna say what Michaels said - you should be able to look at a TD even after the PAT - as long as it's before the kick-off.

[Edited by JugglingReferee on Sep 20th, 2004 at 11:44 PM]
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Yet another oddity of NFL rulings:

There was just offsides on the Vikings (kicking team) and they enforced the 5 yard penalty at the end of the run instead of bringing it back and rekicking or giving the receiving team the option to decline the penalty and take the results.

Yet more odd rules...
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by glyphrunner

There was just offsides on the Vikings (kicking team) and they enforced the 5 yard penalty at the end of the run instead of bringing it back and rekicking or giving the receiving team the option to decline the penalty and take the results.

Yet more odd rules...
You beat me to it! I just put this in another post.
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Actually, the offsides on the kicking team is being added to the end of the return in the NCAA as well. It happened to Georgia Southern Saturday (crushed Wofford! Wohoo!) and it freaked me out. "What the heck are they doing?!" I said at one point. Looked it up when I got home, and sure enough... it was right.

And you're correct, after an OOB play in the NFL the clock starts on the whistle with more than 5 minutes left in the game. I believe it's 2 minutes in the 1st half, but don't hold me to that.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JugglingReferee
[B]Looks like the long bomb TD to Owens was not a TD - he was down at the half yard line.

Edit: I wuz just gunna say what Michaels said - you should be able to look at a TD even after the PAT - as long as it's before the kick-off.

[Edited by Snake~eyes on Sep 21st, 2004 at 01:25 AM]
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 06:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PSU213
This happened during tonight's Monday Night game. Philadelphia is the offense, Minnesota is the defense. Phildelphia's QB (McNabb) received a hand-to-hand snap, threw a backward pass to a RB, and after the RB scrambled he threw a pass to McNabb (he wanted to throw to someone else, but I guess he was covered).

Apparently in the NFL if the QB received the snap under center, he is an not eligible receiver, but he is eligible if he receives a shot gun snap. What kind of rule is this? And I though the NF had a ton of crazy rules.
After it was called, I broke out my NFL rulebook. They call the QB directly behind center a "T-Formation back". A T-Formation back is an ineligible receiver. Apparently, Mike Tice is a coach who reads his rulebook.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Somehow my post got messed up so let me fix. I was saying that I thought that Ownes TD wasn't even a completion let alone a touch down, atleast IMO.

One other thing is I feel bad for the WH(Tony Corrente?) when he stuttered, I'm sure he was kicking himself in the locker room. I'd probaly be the same, talking infront of load of people in the stadium, not to mention the rest on the TV/Radio.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Bill Corollo.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Yea that's it.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 04:40pm

Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli
Bill Corollo.
Alternate last year and the big show the year before.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 10:53pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Yet more odd rules...
This is a GREAT rule, IMO.
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:

Yet more odd rules...
This is a GREAT rule, IMO.
Just wondering...why do you like this rule? I guess I have no opinion on the rule (I didn't even know it was a rule until Monday night), and I am just curious as to why you like it.