The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

On a play away from A's sideline wideout A88 comes towards
Defensive back B80. A88 attempts to block B80. B80 grabs the back of A88s jersey and rather forcefully "flings" him down, A's coaches start yelling for a flag. Is this a "no advantage gained, not a safety issue" no call? Or Illegal use of hands on B? Defensive holding? It was NOT at the point of attack.... just wanted some feedback
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

I guess you'd have to see it, but it sure sounds like a no call. B's is using his hands legally to fight off a blocker, how can it be a foul?
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Can B legally grab A by the jersey? Or throw A to the ground away from the play? Go to 9-4-2b in the NFHS rule book. Also 9-2-3. just to add to the thread, it was a rather forcefull pull to the ground by B he definitley grasped the back of A's jersey..... the official flagged it for defensive holding .... I thought it should be Illegal personal contact if anything... just wanted to hear what others thought .... thanks!!
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Since A initiated the block B is, in theory, trying to get to the ball carrier. Since he is not necessarily out of the play, rule 9-4-2b doesnt seem to apply in this case. Rule 9-2-3 doesnt seem to add creadance to A's arguement either. The fact the pull was forceful, makes sense, he is trying to get someone out of his way.
Rule 2-3-5 plainly states that the defense may push, pull, or ward off an opponent in an actual attempt to get at the runner. This would seem to allow B to use his hands in this manner, PROVIDED, he is making a legitimate effort to get to the ball carrier. I would also have a real hard time of calling this as there was no advantage gained.
The only way I believe I would throw a flag here is if I thought that B was using unneccesary roughness or the like and has no intention of going after A's runner.
Discretion is the better part of valor.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Prevention is an even better part of valor. If I didn't flag it, I'd talk to B and tell him taht would be a flag if it were closer to the play. If we don't flag what would normally be foul near the point of attack, we will talk to the players and let them know they need to be careful.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think this is a foul at the point of attack...as a matter of fact I am more likely to flag it if it happens away from the ball as UR...at the point of attack it seems to me it is legal...don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have flagged this one either...