The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for everyone's advice. I truly appreciate how willing to help everyone who's already in the profession has been.

I didn't enjoy my game this afternoon.

There were some good things: My shorts arrived in the mail today, just in time (I've learned to just go with Honig's and be done with it) because it was 87 degrees today and they came in handy.

The (very) veteran official on our crew said "good job getting to the goal line" on a touchdown run that came to my side. He also was very helpful during the game, and offered not only to be a resource for me during the season, but said he would try to stop by one of my upcoming games to have a look. That was nice.

The other stuff that I didn't enjoy, I'd sound like I was whining if I got into. It's not my place to question why things are the way they are, it's my place to try to learn and get better. So that's what I'm going to try to do.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Fri Sep 24, 2004, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Cool

I think the best advice I've heard in this thread, is to document after each contest. I'm in only my second year, but each game I work brings up at least 2 or 3 questions I have to either look up to verify, or ask the vets. I write in a log book after each contest nothing organized, just thoughts and questions, something to remind you to look up before the next game.

We always have a post game review after each game as well, whether it's 15 min. in the parking lot, or over a few "sodas" at a local establishment, to discuss our performance.

Seef