The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

A1 Throws a long pass caught by A2

A2 runs toward ednzon but stops erroneosly on the 5 yardline (due to some soccer marking i think)

and proceeds to spin the ball and celebrate with his teammates

ball comes to rest on the 3 yard line while both teams are letting players come in and out for the (they think) try

I am the BJ I wait for the ball to come to rest I look around (i did bean bag the 5 yd line) i see no one is making an attemp so i blow it dead and signal 1st down

i explain to the WH what happend he says good call BUT.... should i flag for illegal participation sice both teams shuffeld players in nad out during a live ball I said no because we would do it on both and they would offset any way lets just explain it to both coaches

What do you think

AS A SIDE NOTE B held and a setteled for a FG
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
good call.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Good call.

Add to your scenario the following (which actually happened to me in a JV game). Runner passes the 5, and you are running alongside. He slows to a jog and lobs the ball in your direction (which you deftly avoid). Ball rolls into the endzone inbounds and lies untouched while teams run off the field to switch out for the PAT.
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jimbulger1
A1 Throws a long pass caught by A2

A2 runs toward ednzon but stops erroneosly on the 5 yardline (due to some soccer marking i think)

and proceeds to spin the ball and celebrate with his teammates

ball comes to rest on the 3 yard line while both teams are letting players come in and out for the (they think) try

I am the BJ I wait for the ball to come to rest I look around (i did bean bag the 5 yd line) i see no one is making an attemp so i blow it dead and signal 1st down

i explain to the WH what happend he says good call BUT.... should i flag for illegal participation sice both teams shuffeld players in nad out during a live ball I said no because we would do it on both and they would offset any way lets just explain it to both coaches

What do you think

AS A SIDE NOTE B held and a setteled for a FG
Good call. I would still flag A for unsportsmanlike conduct. Doesn't matter that they didn't score.

I wouldn't throw the substitution fouls though since it didn't affect the play, neither team gained an advantage, etc.

Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Agree, throw the USL flag. It should have been if they were in the EZ, so they have no complaint coming. Makes it 1st & 10 from the B18. Clock on the RFP.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

"Add to your scenario the following (which actually happened to me in a JV game). Runner passes the 5, and you are running alongside. He slows to a jog and lobs the ball in your direction (which you deftly avoid). Ball rolls into the endzone inbounds and lies untouched while teams run off the field to switch out for the PAT".

A puts the ball in B's endzone with a fumble and the ball is declared dead with no player in possession is, I believe, a TD.

[Edited by kdf5 on Sep 21st, 2004 at 08:18 AM]
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kdf5
"Add to your scenario the following (which actually happened to me in a JV game). Runner passes the 5, and you are running alongside. He slows to a jog and lobs the ball in your direction (which you deftly avoid). Ball rolls into the endzone inbounds and lies untouched while teams run off the field to switch out for the PAT".

A puts the ball in B's endzone with a fumble and the ball is declared dead with no player in possession is, I believe, a TD.

[Edited by kdf5 on Sep 21st, 2004 at 08:18 AM]
I would call this a TD and have no USC because he was throuwing the ball to the official
Unless it was forward the maybe an illegal forward pass
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

How could that be a TD?! It wouldn't be a TD if the ball rolled out of bounds in the endzone ... why would it be one if it came to rest in the endzone?

(PS - I didn't think of the illegal forward pass angle... I can't recall (it was LY) if I was ahead of him or behind).
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

when the ball comes to rest and noone attemps to gain possesion of it is blown dead and is then in possesion of the last team to posses it (pending down and whether the LTG was met) .... in this case it is in a's possession in b's endzone therefore touchdown.

If it goes out of the end zone it is a touch back and b's ball because it never came to rest in the end zone
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
How could that be a TD?! It wouldn't be a TD if the ball rolled out of bounds in the endzone ... why would it be one if it came to rest in the endzone?

(PS - I didn't think of the illegal forward pass angle... I can't recall (it was LY) if I was ahead of him or behind).
check out NF Case Book play 8.5.1 SITUATION A: R1 returns the second half kickoff to K's 10 and fumbles: (a) the ball rolls into K's end zone; or (b) K1 attempts to recover and forces the ball into his own end zone. In both cases, the ball is in K's end zone and no player of either team attempts to recover. The referee, after waiting a few seconds, sounds his whistle. RULING: It is a touchdown for R both in (a) and (b) as the fumbling team retains possession. (8-1-2c; 8-5-2b)

Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

This rule was question #100 on the Part II test.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Now that I've reread the NCAA rules on the subject, I do believe we screwed this one up. We ruled a touchback, but it appears it's a TD in NCAA as well.