The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

A number of members on this board have made commments about coaches rating the officials and how it effects the way an official makes calls.

To the officials who officate in these conditions, is it just understood that the official is expected to favor the team on his side-of-the-field or in favor (in the case of the home team hiring the crew) the home team?

In our group we get dinged for a full season, not just a low rating by the coach.

We have a number of powerhouses in our area and they will not accept the team on the other side of the field getting favorable treatment by the officials, which they might ding an officail for.

De La Salle (the team that just had its 150 game winning streak broken last week by a school in Seattle) has played teams in our area. A powerhouse like De La Salle is not going to schedule schools in an area were the officials will homer them.

[Edited by Green on Sep 13th, 2004 at 11:09 PM]
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think it's "understood" that a wing will favor his side, or that the officials will favor the home team. Not at all. In fact, if a crew was known for that, they'd get "dinged" more often than those crews that both sides think are impartial.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Just call them the way you see them

If you just call the game the way it happens, without thinking about how your gonna be liked by either coach, you'll be fine, its when you start thinking about whether a call you make is going to influence that coach's rating of you, that you will be in trouble.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 10:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Not sure where you got that idea from. I have never advocated nor had anyone advocate such a thing. You call the game as you see it and you move on. If the coach does not like it, that is his problem. They cannot ban everyone. There is so much going on that the official on a particular sideline would not have anything to call, not sure how you could do that in the first place. Not unless you are just making it up.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

As a new white hat in a state that coaches and AD's have all the power, Indiana, I have worked with my crew to get past this very thing. AD's get the officials for all thier games and the coaches vote is how you get playoff games. So the though at times is that you have to take care of the a certain coach because of that. We have worked hard to just do our best game and what happens is what happens. My old crew chief would start his pregame speech to the coaches with "here is our game card, we would like a vote from you if possible." I simply give them the card and say "this is our information, if you need us during the game, name can be helpful." I hate the idea of giving into a coach because he has the voting power. If we do a good job, give us a good vote, if we stink, give us a lower vote. Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now.
Old Mon Sep 27, 2004, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Axe Man
As a new white hat in a state that coaches and AD's have all the power, Indiana, I have worked with my crew to get past this very thing. AD's get the officials for all thier games and the coaches vote is how you get playoff games. So the though at times is that you have to take care of the a certain coach because of that. We have worked hard to just do our best game and what happens is what happens. My old crew chief would start his pregame speech to the coaches with "here is our game card, we would like a vote from you if possible." I simply give them the card and say "this is our information, if you need us during the game, name can be helpful." I hate the idea of giving into a coach because he has the voting power. If we do a good job, give us a good vote, if we stink, give us a lower vote. Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now.
In Ohio, the coaches do vote for playoff officials. The proper procedure is that the secretary of the local association sends a list of all eligible officials to each school in the area. Last year, the OHSAA passed a by-law prohibiting individual officials and/or crews from soliciting votes from coaches; if you are caught doing so, your permit is suspended (I believe for the entire next year).
I belive it is unethical and looks tacky for an official to try to sway a coach to vote for him just the same as it is not good for a coach to try to influence an official's decision on the field.

Old Mon Sep 27, 2004, 05:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Whoooooooocaarrreeesssss!!!!

Maybe some are influenced. I personally do not give a damn. Coaches come and go and the officials stay the same. Most of the coaches I have seen this year have not been around at their respective school for more than 2 years. So I have been officiating about 3 times longer than most coaches have at the schools they are the varsity coach. I might tend to throw more flags when they are having their temper tantrums.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 27, 2004, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

if you are playing "favorites" you need to get out of the sport based on some of these post you are officiating for the glory and not for the players if that is the case I think you should find another hobby just my thoughts.