The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 09, 2004, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

I'm watching the Patriots/Colts game, and a few minutes ago an inelligible member of the kicking team (Patriots) was called for being downfield on a punt, when the referee made the announcement, he said that "there will be a re-kick 5 yards deeper"

Now my question is, was New England forced to punt again, or could they try and go for the first down, however unlikely it would be??
Old Thu Sep 09, 2004, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
I'm watching the Patriots/Colts game, and a few minutes ago an inelligible member of the kicking team (Patriots) was called for being downfield on a punt, when the referee made the announcement, he said that "there will be a re-kick 5 yards deeper"

Now my question is, was New England forced to punt again, or could they try and go for the first down, however unlikely it would be??
I didn't see the play, but it should have been replay the down, they COULD have gone for it.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 06:05am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:

I noticed this too Julian. The R was Mike Carey, #94. He's the other fit white hat in the NFL.

I thought that it was odd that he said they would re-kick.

After the penalty appliation, it was 4th and more-than-10, if I remember correctly. The chances of a fake are slim, especially in the No Fun League.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

No, there is no such thing as a forced re-kick. It was simply a case where a Referee with a microphone made an incorrect assumption and therefore an incorrect statement to all that were listening to him talk.

He needed only to say a few things such as what the foul was, who it was on (team and number) and what the next down will be. Give a mic to a ref, and who the heck knows what will come out of his mouth!
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: I heard it too. He kind of stumbled over the last few words. I was surprised he used that phrasing.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey
No, there is no such thing as a forced re-kick. It was simply a case where a Referee with a microphone made an incorrect assumption and therefore an incorrect statement to all that were listening to him talk.

He needed only to say a few things such as what the foul was, who it was on (team and number) and what the next down will be. Give a mic to a ref, and who the heck knows what will come out of his mouth!
It seemed he had first game of the season jitters or something. I've seen him work a number of times before and he is usually pretty good with the microphone. Last night, he seemed like he was trying to offer explanations (instead of standard "Foul, Team, Player #, yardage assesses, and down number) and he couldn't get the correct words to come out.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

I'm just trying to think who the really good WH is for explaining stuff to fans, it's either Hichuli or Kukar, one of the two, I guess Carey was trying to emulate the greats.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey

It seemed he had first game of the season jitters or something. I've seen him work a number of times before and he is usually pretty good with the microphone. Last night, he seemed like he was trying to offer explanations (instead of standard "Foul, Team, Player #, yardage assesses, and down number) and he couldn't get the correct words to come out.
I noticed the same thing, especially stumbled when patriots spiked the ball. Seemed like some jitters to me.

Quote:
I'm just trying to think who the really good WH is for explaining stuff to fans, it's either Hichuli or Kukar, one of the two, I guess Carey was trying to emulate the greats.
Ed Hochuli is the one with the good explanations, he also did the Superbowl. Bernie Kukar is another good R, he's the one who took the hit in the giants game.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Hochuli has some feature article on him in this months Referee Magazine, I saw the cover when I took the mail in, but haven't had any time to read the article yet. He's a damn good official.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

I heard it too. It had to be a slip.

Nice to see someone else appreciates a 'fit' official. It was mentioned by our state guy at the rules clinic last month that one of the reasons that good officials don't beat out the competition in moving up is that they are out of shape. All things being equal, I would go with the 'fit' official! We have a couple of white-hats around here that I don't think can keep up with the play.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Quote:
(snip)
Ed Hochuli is the one with the good explanations, he also did the Superbowl. Bernie Kukar is another good R, he's the one who took the hit in the giants game.
REPLY: snake-eyes, if you're referring to the Giants-49ers playoff game with the DPI miss at the end, I believe it was Ron Winter--not Kukar--who was the white hat for that game.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bob M.
Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Quote:
(snip)
REPLY: snake-eyes, if you're referring to the Giants-49ers playoff game with the DPI miss at the end, I believe it was Ron Winter--not Kukar--who was the white hat for that game.
Nope, I am referring to the game where Bernie Kukar got ran over when he didn't get out of the way in time. He had to leave the field and they went to 6 man mechanics. Sound familiar?