The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 08, 2004, 06:53pm

I posted an innocent question about the Big Ten's use of instant replay during the Wisconsin game on Saturday. I did not see the game, but heard that plays were corrected. Which ones? Did it work well?
This post was deleted, before I could return. Why?

Also, the UCLA head coach announced that he would not agree to allow replay to be used during the coming Illinois-UCLA game. I recognize that no one likes to be second guessed and from what I've read, we have some pretty good officials here. Does this seem like a smart move? Could he be concerned that the "technical official" will be biased?
Old Wed Sep 08, 2004, 07:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs down It is not a perfect system.

Not everyone agrees with instant replay. It did not pass 100% this year in the NFL when it was up for a vote. It is very possible he just does not want something to affect the game in any "unusual" way. They had problems last week and I am sure that factors in the decision.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 08, 2004, 08:56pm

I'm still looking for what happened.
What calls were reviewed?
What calls were over ruled?

I know this sounds disingenuous, but I just want to know if it worked during this game. I have not heard of other games having utilized it successfully. Does anyone know if calls were changed in any other Big Ten contest?

Rut, you saw my last few posts. I'm not looking for a battle with you here.
Old Wed Sep 08, 2004, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe this link will help.

http://bigten.collegesports.com/spor...090704aaa.html
Old Wed Sep 08, 2004, 09:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityBlue
I'm still looking for what happened.
What calls were reviewed?
What calls were over ruled?
I did not see the game. I really cannot tell you for sure. I saw a replay of one play where there was a fumble and I think a Wisconsin player knee was down and the player got up and ran for a TD. That play was reviewed and it was brought back to the spot of recovery.

There was another play where a RB from Wisconsin stepped out of bounds and went up field for about 10 more yards. They reviewed this play and eventually changed it, but it took about 5 minutes to come to that conclusion. I remember on ESPN the commentators talking about this and how long it took. I do not know of any other plays that are all I remember. Not sure there were any other games that allowed replay. All games were non-conference games.

Quote:
I know this sounds disingenuous, but I just want to know if it worked during this game. I have not heard of other games having utilized it successfully. Does anyone know if calls were changed in any other Big Ten contest?
I could not tell you if it worked. It is a work in progress. Like I told you that these would be discussed at our meeting. The system replay system was discussed a little bit but not to the extent I was hoping. Maybe we will here more when the conference games begin.

Quote:
Rut, you saw my last few posts. I'm not looking for a battle with you here.
I do not feel you are looking for one. You are asking a legitimate question and you have a right to be treated with respect.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 09, 2004, 09:40am

Thank you!
Old Thu Sep 09, 2004, 10:04am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I know Iowa State's coach has decided not to allow it in the game with Iowa this weekend, either. He said he doesn't want to be experimenting with an important game like this (a rivalry game).