The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 08, 2004, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Where does the 'Forward Progress' definition begin or end? My first season officiating and possibly my 'old school' football philosophy is interfering with the modern rules of football.

There have been times where I believe the ball carrier to still be active, and not what I consider to be in control of the defense, and still struggling to gain yardage. When A is finally brought to the ground 5-7 yards back, he is given the 'forward progress'. I don't feel this is correct.

What if while B has a grasp of A's jersey and is swinging him back (forward progress) both of them struggle - one to break free and one to finally tackle A - A breaks away?

1) Isn't this type of play giving A an unfair advantage by allowing the 'forward progress' point - AND ALSO - allowing him maybe break away as well for a long gain?

2) Is 'forward progress' more defined when A is wrapped up and definitely going down soon to where the 'forward progress' is certain? (A bang-bang type of play.)

3) And if A isn't totally under control of B - but still being driven backwards - and is finally brought down, shouldn't that be the ball spot? Since A isn't under control and still may have gained yardage, and B finally got control of A and brought him down in the backfield?

I believe this to be a judgment call where I may be more 'old school' than some. Your thoughts?
Old Wed Sep 08, 2004, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

From your solid questions, it seems to me that you actually have a very good grasp of when forward progress ends - you just have a disagreement with the fairness of the rules that tell you to go by forward progress.

It is not our position to determine the fairness of the set of rules we live by - it is our position to implement those rules. I do agree with you that often this particular rule tends to favor the offense - but it is what it is, and it seems to be that the powers-that-be have their reasons for wanting it implemented this way.

As to your question number 1 - if the runner regains his own ability to run and re-establishes his own momentum, his initial forward progress no longer applies. However, if he's hit before able to re-establish control of himself, you have to give him the initial forward progress spot.

On 3), I side with the way the rule is written over the opinion you stated - for this reason: If the rules were written so that your method was what we go by, defenders could mob/push a runner, but not let him fall, and cause him to lose a great number of yards. This doesn't seem fair.