The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 04, 2004, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

How do you interpret this rule? According to how I read it, it is only illegal touching if an ineligible bats or muffs the ball. According to the definition of a muff, a muff is an attempt to secure possession. Thus, if a QB loses the handle of a pass and throws it into a lineman's back, I don't think this is a penalty because the lineman isn't trying to secure possession of the ball. Do you agree with this line of thinking?
"Football is a great deal like life in that it teaches that work, sacrifice, perseverance, competitive drive, selflessness and respect for authority. That is the price that each and every one of us must pay to achieve any goal that is worthwhile." - Vince Lombardi
Old Sat Sep 04, 2004, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Looks to me like all you have here is an incomplete forward pass.
Old Sat Sep 04, 2004, 10:09am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally posted by Tundra Ref
How do you interpret this rule? According to how I read it, it is only illegal touching if an ineligible bats or muffs the ball. According to the definition of a muff, a muff is an attempt to secure possession. Thus, if a QB loses the handle of a pass and throws it into a lineman's back, I don't think this is a penalty because the lineman isn't trying to secure possession of the ball. Do you agree with this line of thinking?
We've got an interesting one in Canada:

If the QB's FP hits an O-lineman in the back, it is an incomplete pass, but we do not blow it dead. If it is caught by a defender, it is a interception. So, we have to hold on the whistle and see what happens next.

There was an interesting play once where this happened and when an eligible A player caught the ball, it should have been blown dead as an incomplete pass. Instead, the play was allowed to continue and A crossed the B goal line in possession of the ball. The R stayed with the QB because he was hit very hard (legally). When his crew told him what happened, he asked why nobody blew it dead. The story goes that nobody else knew that odd rule.

The bad part is that during A's run to the goal line, time ran out with A losing by 2. Had the play been properly blown dead, there would have been time for one more play, and with a good field goal kicker, they had a chance to win.

The R had to wave the play as an incomplete pass, and tell coach A that the game was over.
Old Sat Sep 04, 2004, 11:40am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Derock2004
Looks to me like all you have here is an incomplete forward pass.
Yup, as long as it is behind the neutral zone. Once it hits the ground, it is incomplete.
Old Sat Sep 04, 2004, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Be careful on this one. If the QB intentionally throws it into an ineligible you may have an illegal pass.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!