The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 03, 2004, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

This was the Play of the Day today:

Runner A1 breaks free beyond the neutral zone at midfield. A2 is running between A1 and saefty B1, who is gaining fast on both of them. As B1 nears A2 he blocks him from behind and below the waist in an attempt to get to A1 to make the tackle.

Ruling: This is clipping and is illegal. If the contact would have been from behind and above the waist, it would have been legal per rule 9.3.5b

I understand that much.

We don't know if runner A1 scored. Let's say he scored, do you enforce the penalty from the succeeding spot (the spot of the try? That doesn't seem like much of a penalty. Rule 2-40-10 says "The succeeding spot is where the ball would next be snapped or free kicked if a foul had not occurred.")?

If he didn't score, and was tackled at, say, B's 35, would you penalize from the spot of the foul (which we don't know, either) or the end of the run? Whichever was worse for B? Or would A have the choice of taking the result of the play if that would be more yardage than they could get penalizing B from the spot of the foul?
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Fri Sep 03, 2004, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

We don't know if runner A1 scored. Let's say he scored, do you enforce the penalty from the succeeding spot (the spot of the try? That doesn't seem like much of a penalty. Rule 2-40-10 says "The succeeding spot is where the ball would next be snapped or free kicked if a foul had not occurred.")?

You're right. This does not seem like much but enforcement from the succeeding spot is the correct way to do this. And the succeeding spot would be the try.

If he didn't score, and was tackled at, say, B's 35, would you penalize from the spot of the foul (which we don't know, either) or the end of the run? Whichever was worse for B? Or would A have the choice of taking the result of the play if that would be more yardage than they could get penalizing B from the spot of the foul?

The spot here would be the end of the run (all but one principal).
Old Fri Sep 03, 2004, 01:06pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Mc

You're right. This does not seem like much but enforcement from the succeeding spot is the correct way to do this. And the succeeding spot would be the try.

The spot here would be the end of the run (all but one principal).
This is one place where the NFL actually gets it right and enforces such a penalty on the kickoff.

But in our NF games, it's the succeeding spot, and that makes it enforced on the try.
Old Fri Sep 03, 2004, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

I remember someone posting that "back in the day" the NFHS rule was that this penalty would be enforced on the kickoff and then the rule was changed so that the penalty would be declined by rule and then finally changed again to the rule we have today. Is that true?

Maybe it's time to go full circle.

-SW---
Old Fri Sep 03, 2004, 05:15pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally posted by OverAndBack
This was the Play of the Day today:

Runner A1 breaks free beyond the neutral zone at midfield. A2 is running between A1 and saefty B1, who is gaining fast on both of them. As B1 nears A2 he blocks him from behind and below the waist in an attempt to get to A1 to make the tackle.

Ruling: This is clipping and is illegal. If the contact would have been from behind and above the waist, it would have been legal per rule 9.3.5b

I understand that much.

Blocking from the rear. (7.1.2) If YWG, 15 from PBH, and if YWNG, 15 from PLS.(7.1.2-Penalty and 8.2.1,2)

The end of the run is irrelevant.
Old Fri Sep 03, 2004, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know what YWG, PBH, and YWNG mean. PLS I guess is previous line of scrimmage?

"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Fri Sep 03, 2004, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't know what YWG, PBH, and YWNG mean. PLS I guess is previous line of scrimmage?
You call yourself a football official, and you don't know what yawang means..?

Remember that JugglingRef is speaking Canadian football...
Old Fri Sep 03, 2004, 05:28pm

Quote:

It goes through my mind each time I post Canadian abbreviations.

PLS = previous line of scrimmage. (You're right.)
PBH = point ball held.
YWG = yards were gained. IOW, the LTG was met (before the foul).
YWNG = yards were not gained. The LTG was not met (before the foul).

YWG is also YG and YWNG is also YNG.

Other interesting Canadian football facts:

Field Size: 65 by 110. End Zones: 65 by 20. Hash marks: 24 yards from the sidelines. Uprights: on the goal line, 10 feet high, 18 foot 6 apart.

3 Downs.

No touchback, fair catch or 1 point safety.

No tuck rule.
Old Fri Sep 03, 2004, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:

PBH = point ball held.

Field Size: 65 by 110. End Zones: 65 by 20. Hash marks: 24 yards from the sidelines. Uprights: on the goal line, 10 feet high, 18 foot 6 apart.

3 Downs.

No tuck rule.
freakin' french...or canadian...or whatever...can't even use the english language properly.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Fri Sep 03, 2004, 09:22pm

Quote:
Originally posted by jumpmaster
Quote:
Quote:

PBH = point ball held.

3 Downs.

No tuck rule.
freakin' french...or canadian...or whatever...can't even use the english language properly.
But we're not bad spellers like you guys are: what are color and humor? It's colour and humour.
Old Fri Sep 03, 2004, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But we're not bad spellers like you guys are: what are color and humor? It's colour and humour.
Don't you mean spellres..?

(Just like litre and metre...)
Old Sat Sep 04, 2004, 06:13am

Quote:
Originally posted by PiggSkin
Quote:
Don't you mean spellres..?

(Just like litre and metre...)
We don't go by litres and metres - we go by pints and yards!!! And wings on the side of course.