The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 02, 2004, 06:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Well had first week with new rule and first problem. Was calling little kids (5th grade) and the Defensive team's head coach realized they had 12 on the field. LJ was slow in getting counted for some reason and snap happened. IP for 15 yards. I head the head coach yell time out after the snap but not before, probably due to all the yelling at the player to get off the field. My 2 partners did not hear him either until after the snap. He was pissed (but not over the line) saying he called time before. Told him I did not hear him. It did not cost him anything really other than the yardage as his defense tighten and kept the O from scoring.
I can already see that this is going to be a major problem, especially with a team outside the 15, he is yelling from the 25 and there is a good amount of yelling from the team box and/or crowd.

Anyone else have issues with this yet??

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Thu Sep 02, 2004, 06:38am
VaASAump

Not me, especially since the rule just added that a head coach can now call time out. Didn't eliminate the players on the field from calling time out.

Serg
Old Thu Sep 02, 2004, 07:43am
goldcoastump

We don't have eyes in the back our heads. I tell the coach that if they are going to call time out they will have to do it well before the snap.
Old Thu Sep 02, 2004, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Lightbulb no issues, yet

I specifically cover this with the coaches during pre-game.

"Coach, this year the head coach can request time out. If you want a time out, get in my wingman's hip pocket and tell him 'time out'. If he hears you, he will call it. Don't tell him you want a time out at the end of the next play."

I've had three scrimmages this year and no problems so far.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Thu Sep 02, 2004, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Our State association says that we need to make visual contact to make sure it is the head coach calling the time out. Wingmen have been instructed not to turn from the field to look if the snap or kick is about to occur. In that case, if an interior official sees the head coach calling the timeout, they will grant it. If not a player on the field will have to call it. I also don't plan to turn immediately following a play as that is a period of time when fouls are still likely to happen.
Old Thu Sep 02, 2004, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Similar situation happened to a crew in my chapter. Team A has 12 in the huddle, so as they are recounting to make sure, the head coach is calling for a timeout. Before the timeout was aknowledged the flag was thrown. The coach complained and they asked if he still wanted the timeout after they did the enforcement.
Old Thu Sep 02, 2004, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

At our pregame we let the coach know he can call a timeout and also that that does not mean his players cannot.
Old Thu Sep 02, 2004, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Our crew is treating it like we do in basketball. If we do not see and hear the coach, sorry no time-out. We make it clear to them in the pre-game conference. We remind them that they may request a time-out. Just because they request it does not mean that they will receive it. So far no problems.
Old Thu Sep 02, 2004, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

This was brought up in our association meeting last night and they have specifically stated a policy for this new rule that is the same as mentioned by SJoldguy and kenref1 - that is that we must visually confirm that it is the head coach calling the time out and that if the snap is "immanent" we or not to turn away from the field. It will be up to the players to call the time out at that point.

-SW---
Old Fri Sep 03, 2004, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Just as a follow up to Jason's post above, coaches believe that they can avoid a DBF by calling TO. However, if there are 12 in the huddle and no one is looking to leave, they've already fouled. They can't absolve this by calling a TO. Good Call Jason!