The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 30, 2004, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

Okay, I'm just a fan who stumbled onto this board, but if I can clear this up, it's worth it.

Let's say it's 4th and 10 from the A's 30. A lines up to punt. The ball is snapped to the punter (A4), who throws a high, arcing pass towards the left sideline. The ball lands inbounds at B's 35 yard line. Now A81 probably would have been able to catch the pass had he not been blocked by B24 and B37, who were blocking as if it were a punt.

I know in the NCAA this was recently made an exception to the pass interference rule. High school, I'm not so sure. The play's definitely unethical, but would it normally draw a flag from the officials?
Old Mon Aug 30, 2004, 03:05am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by willmorris
Okay, I'm just a fan who stumbled onto this board, but if I can clear this up, it's worth it.

Let's say it's 4th and 10 from the A's 30. A lines up to punt. The ball is snapped to the punter (A4), who throws a high, arcing pass towards the left sideline. The ball lands inbounds at B's 35 yard line. Now A81 probably would have been able to catch the pass had he not been blocked by B24 and B37, who were blocking as if it were a punt.

I know in the NCAA this was recently made an exception to the pass interference rule. High school, I'm not so sure. The play's definitely unethical, but would it normally draw a flag from the officials?
Why is the play unethical? If the ball falls incomplete, B takes over on A's 30. Risky, and if B interferes it should be called.
Old Mon Aug 30, 2004, 06:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
I agree with Rich. Could be interference or holding on B depending on if the ball was in the air when the contact happened.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Mon Aug 30, 2004, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

You are correct, no foul under NCAA or Texas High School.
Old Mon Aug 30, 2004, 10:55am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by willmorris
The play's definitely unethical, but would it normally draw a flag from the officials?
From a pure rules standpoint, there is nothing wrong with this play. The NCAA created a rule has nothing to do with HS or NFL Rules. So the officials do not have any guidelines to call this play any different than what the rules state. The defense just has to know that this is a pass. It might not seem fair, but there are no rules to make this illegal. We cannot use NCAA logic to call NF games without some rule change.

Peace