The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

I am in a youth football that is under IHSA IL high school rules ...I want to send three rec. to one side what is the rule how many need to be on the line? Can all three go out for pass should all or one or two be on the line of scim. thanks jeff
Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

If you want all three receivers to be eligible, at least two will have to be off the line. In any level of 11-man football, you MUST have seven on the line of scrimmage.

If you're sending three out wide, the one closest to the sideline should be on the line, while the other two flankers will be off the line. Then you could have one more back in the backfield (or split to the other side) and the quarterback to have four off the line and seven on the line.

You COULD have all three off the line, with a tight end on each side and no back in the backfield, but that would be a bit odd.
Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

thanks bigwes

so does this work?? 000x00 0
o 00
Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

bigwe sorry

msg did not go right disregard
Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Do a web search for football formations or try this website...http://www.football.com/playbook/formations.shtml
Just remember you must have at least 7 on the line of scrimmage. The person on each end of the line of scrimmage is an eligible receiver if properly numbered...1-49 or 80-99 (in your youth league this may not even be required). Everyone in the backfield is also an eligible receiver.

Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 05:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffb
I am in a youth football that is under IHSA IL high school rules ...I want to send three rec. to one side what is the rule how many need to be on the line? Can all three go out for pass should all or one or two be on the line of scim. thanks jeff

This might be semantics, so please do not take this the wrong way.

The rules that most youth football leagues in Illinois plays under is National Federation Rules. The IHSA does not have a set of rules other than what the NF dictates. So the rules are NF rules. Many Youth football might have another set of rules (used with the NF Rules) they use on top of what is in the rulebooks. That distinction might seem silly, but people will refer to the IHSA rules and they do not produce a rulebook in any form.

There might be a set of safety guidelines that would not apply to many youth leagues. There might also be other little rules that do not apply as well like the number rules. I know some leagues I had did not have rules against number by position. Or better yet, they might have striper rules (which are another bag of worms) that apply. You might already realize that, but you have to know the differences in order to apply certain rules properly.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffb
Here are the basics on formations. Many youth leagues for whatever reasons do relax them -- often because of uniform purchasing restrictions.

1. Five players numbered 50-79

2. Seven players on the line -- minimum

3. Players on each end of the line can be eligible to go downfield on a forward pass if they have eligible numbers 1-49 or 80-99.

If you choose to line up three receivers on either end of the line make sure two of them are in the backfield. If two of the receivers are on the line at the same end, one will be "covering" the other making the inside receiver ineligible.

In other words as one coach told me last year, "I have a tight end and a split end" (both on the same end of the line. That is an illegal formation. After all, doesn't the word "end" mean the last one.
Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Take a look at this, wrote it a while ago.
http://www.spectral-arts.com/ref/ell...s/eligible.php
Formation #3 is like what you're referring to.
Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Out my way, many youth football leagues either have their own set of modifications to the normal NFHS rules or use rules modified for grades 7,8 and 9 set forth by the NYSPHSAA (don't worry about what those initial mean).

Bottom line here is this, there are only a few offensive formations allowed and in particular, only 1 receiver can be wide.

I am somewhat surprised that IHSA does not have similar set of modifications in place for the lower grade levels or that local youth leagues don't have formation restrictions in place.
Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Theisey,

Those are the worst rules. It is bad enough the varsity and JV coaches don't know the regular Rule Book then they put the Modified Rules on top of that so the JH coaches absolutely don't know the rules.
Old Wed Aug 25, 2004, 05:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hickland
Theisey,

Those are the worst rules. It is bad enough the varsity and JV coaches don't know the regular Rule Book then they put the Modified Rules on top of that so the JH coaches absolutely don't know the rules.
Probably why you do not see many great players coming out of NY. They don't know various formations going into high school...8-p

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Wed Aug 25, 2004, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

There must be some pretty stupid coaches out there, we're only talking about at most 10 minor changes, most of which deal with the offensive and defensive formations.
It's harder on the officials to have to have to reset the brain when working one of these "Modified" rule games.

Not sure how to respond to CowbyFan statement, but I doubt a handful of changes have anything to do with it.

Old Wed Aug 25, 2004, 11:54am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Not their jurisdiction.

Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey
I am somewhat surprised that IHSA does not have similar set of modifications in place for the lower grade levels or that local youth leagues don't have formation restrictions in place.
The IHSA does not have any say or jurisdiction over youth football. There is the Illinois Elementary School Association that deals with middle school sports and they use NF rules with some minor modifications. If you are talking about Pop Warner or Bill George Leagues for example, these leagues are not under any jurisdiction of the IHSA. Pop Warner and other youth leagues have their own bylaws and rules that might be outside of the NF rules (mercy and eligibility as an example). The IHSA only deals with High School Sports and their member schools. That is it.

Peace