The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 23, 2004, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Talking

I need some opinions on a mechanic I struggle with...walking off penalties.

The Book says never walk off yardage. Is that how all U's approach this task? I ran into some vets last year that step them off, and I realize it may depend on how well the field is marked, but I want to look sharp and professional when I carry myself out there. Any particular methods used that would help?

Particularly when ball is at the 23 1/3 -yd line, and I'm spotting a 15-yd walk off do I get a foot measurement from the nearest hash and do the math from there? I am a college graduate and an engineer, but my nerves sometimes cloud my otherwise pristine mathematical skills

2nd yr. Ump
Old Mon Aug 23, 2004, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

My second year as well, mostly at Ump. I noticed in reading the officials manual this morning (ironically), it directs the ump to not step off the yardage on a well marked field, except to the first and for the final yard line. It does indicate though, to use an arm signal for each yard line crossed (see page 76 in 2004-2005 off. manual). I try to not do the step off except from the yard lines as indicated, but again, as a new official I would appreciate any tips.

Old Mon Aug 23, 2004, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Jaysef,
If the ball is at the 23 1/3 yd line, I would step off the number of steps to the 25, then go to the 40 and step back that many steps for a 15 yd penalty. It looks pretty sharp and is a lot easier than trying to add and subtract fractions and then apply that to your calibrated stepping (I work with a bunch of engineers, I know how you guys are )..and as always check with your wings to make sure that everyone ends up in the same spot....
Old Mon Aug 23, 2004, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up I like that one

That sounds like a logical method. Sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees. Stepping to the next major yd. line and working back from there is something I will try.

Thanks for the input Cmath. Peeking at this board now and again has provided me with some good input. I told the rest of our crew (especially our WH), they need to check it out...although they don't have as much "desk time" as I
Old Mon Aug 23, 2004, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

You will never see an NCAA official nor NFL official walk off past the spot and then walk backward to the actual spot.

This may be something you do at the lowests levels of football, but I would not recommend doing this at the high school level. Learn to go directly to ths spot.
Old Mon Aug 23, 2004, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Theisey,
That might be because of the markings on "upper" levels games vs those at the lowest levels...when there aren't good yard markers on the hash there has to be a better method than stepping off 15 individual steps...
Old Mon Aug 23, 2004, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

The umpire should never have to walk off the yardage. Last season it was kind of informal but this season I am going to make it formal. Have the HL proceed to the spot counting the yardage. Then all the U has to do is go to the spot while counting the yardage mentally. U should arrive at the same spot as where the HL is standing.

For instance, at 23-1/2 going out. The succeeding spot will be the 38-1/2 for a fifteen yard penalty. The HL can proceed without attracting a lot of attention and can actually count the number of yards. That leaves the U to perform the actual ceremony to the 38-1/2.

What if one of them screws up? Don't ever put the ball down until they agree on a spot. If HL goes too far have the U stop and signal for help. If U goes too har have the HL signal for help. We use a silent signal where the wing place his hand over his chest with the hand pointing in the direction to move the ball and gives a flapping motion with the hand to move the spot. Then you drop the hand when the spot is correct.

I am blessed to have a mathematics instructor as my linesman.
Old Mon Aug 23, 2004, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Agreed...

I concurr that the U should jog to the subsequent spot and mentally count the intervals (w/hand gesture as book explains). I just have so much I'm trying to remember when I'm out there, I end up trying to hurry everything, and I'll revert to walking off the 10/15 yarders instead of looking over to the sideline to find the yard line, and do the math (I'm good with math, just not the quickest)

I'm hoping more time on the field will allow me to get good at the little things. Right now (2nd year) I'm probably spending too much time on rules interpretation, and not enough practice on mechanics!

Jaysef
Old Mon Aug 23, 2004, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

The biggest thing we should all remember, we are the third team on the field. Work together.
Old Mon Aug 23, 2004, 09:45pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Philosophy

Here in the GWN, the U and HL both walk off yardage fouls together. It looks professional and excellent, even on well marked fields. It's part of the many silent communcations we do as officials.

This summer, I've had no instances where as the HL (or the LJ - I also mark off when I'm the LJ) I had to correct a yardage application. Last summer I had two, and they were both minor, but nonetheless still requried correcting.

The U also flashes to the HL how many yards to mark off and in which direction. For "half the distance", I use a televison industry signal for "30 seconds", which is palm up, arm in front of you, and making a motion of cutting yourself in half at the waist.

Agreed we are teh Third Team. Ini fact, that's the name of our association's newsletter.