View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 23, 2004, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

The umpire should never have to walk off the yardage. Last season it was kind of informal but this season I am going to make it formal. Have the HL proceed to the spot counting the yardage. Then all the U has to do is go to the spot while counting the yardage mentally. U should arrive at the same spot as where the HL is standing.

For instance, at 23-1/2 going out. The succeeding spot will be the 38-1/2 for a fifteen yard penalty. The HL can proceed without attracting a lot of attention and can actually count the number of yards. That leaves the U to perform the actual ceremony to the 38-1/2.

What if one of them screws up? Don't ever put the ball down until they agree on a spot. If HL goes too far have the U stop and signal for help. If U goes too har have the HL signal for help. We use a silent signal where the wing place his hand over his chest with the hand pointing in the direction to move the ball and gives a flapping motion with the hand to move the spot. Then you drop the hand when the spot is correct.

I am blessed to have a mathematics instructor as my linesman.