The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 18, 2004, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Wink

just for discussion......

A has the ball 1st and goal on B's 9 yard line, A1 throws a forward pass into the endzone that is intercepted by B2, B2 attempts to run out of the endzone towards A's endzone, when he is hit hard by A10, the ball pops loose and rolls out of bounds while both B2 and the ball are still in the endzone.

OR: As the ball is rolling loose in the endzone A9 attempts to recover the fumble, but before he can reach the ball B3 bats it out of the endzone.

Just wanted to compare answers

Old Wed Aug 18, 2004, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Touchback on the first, correct? The force that put the ball into the end zone was the pass.

On the second...
B3's bat doesn't put a new force on the ball since force only applies going into the end zone from the field of play, correct?

But it's a bat in B's end zone, and I can't find a rule that says that's a foul.

I'm going to say touchback on the second and I'm sure someone will have a better answer as to why.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Wed Aug 18, 2004, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Touchback on the first play. In the second play B3Â’s bat is illegal per 9-7-2 and because the foul was in BÂ’s end zone the result is a safety.
Dale Smith
Old Wed Aug 18, 2004, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Dave beat me to it...I agree the second situation is a safety...
Old Wed Aug 18, 2004, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Right you are. I couldn't find 9-7-2: "No player shall bat a loose ball other than a pass or fumble in flight or a low scrimmage kick which is he attempting to block in or behind the expanded neutral zone." Penalty: Illegal kicking or batting, 15 yards.

I was looking for something I thought existed that said you could only bat a ball towards one goal line and not the other.

This is fun. We should do a situation every day.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Wed Aug 18, 2004, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OverAndBack
This is fun. We should do a situation every day.
Go here and get a "play of the day" sent to your email: http://www.nafoa.net/PlayOfTheDay1.htm

They take plays from the casebooks.
Old Wed Aug 18, 2004, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

I have the casebooks. I want people here to come up with crazy stuff every day, they're much more creative.
Old Wed Aug 18, 2004, 02:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb I have one for you.

4th and 10 on K's 20 yard line (scrimmage kick formation)

K 55 snaps the ball over punter K10's head. Ball rolls to K's 2 yard line and comes to rest. In the scramble for the ball, K10 bats the ball into the end zone and over the endline.

What do you have?

Peace
Old Wed Aug 18, 2004, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

I have an offensive foul on the 2 yard line.... Illegal Batting

Defense can except the penalty.... 4th and 39 from the 1 yard line. Untimed down if period expired during the down.

Defense can decline the penalty.... Results in a safety. If timed expired during down the down no untimed down.

Old Wed Aug 18, 2004, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Touchback on the first situation, B's ball 1st and ten from the 20. It was A's forward pass that provided the force to put the ball into the endzone. In the second situation since B batted a grounded fumble, the responsibility for forcing the ball from the field of play lies with B therefore the result is a safety. The batting is illegal and the result if accepted results in a 15 yard penalty.

Now, another question... how is the penalty administered If A accepts the penalty for illegal batting? I had some problems coming up with an answer but I believe I know I would like to know what you guys come up with. FUN! FUN!
Old Wed Aug 18, 2004, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

If R declines the penalty for illegal batting by K, the result would be a safety. R is awarded 2 points and K will kick from the 20 yd line. If R accepts the penalty for illegal batting by K the result will be a 15 yard penalty administered from the previous spot because of the loose ball play. The ball will be moved half the distance to the goal It will be K's ball 4th and 20 from the 10 yard line.
Old Wed Aug 18, 2004, 06:10pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally posted by linesman
just for discussion......

A has the ball 1st and goal on B's 9 yard line, A1 throws a forward pass into the endzone that is intercepted by B2, B2 attempts to run out of the endzone towards A's endzone, when he is hit hard by A10, the ball pops loose and rolls out of bounds while both B2 and the ball are still in the endzone.

OR: As the ball is rolling loose in the endzone A9 attempts to recover the fumble, but before he can reach the ball B3 bats it out of the endzone.

Just wanted to compare answers
In both cases, this is an INT in the EZ and the result is B 1D/10 @ B20.
Old Wed Aug 18, 2004, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Well, we seem to have a difference of opinion there.
Old Thu Aug 19, 2004, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If R declines the penalty for illegal batting by K, the result would be a safety. R is awarded 2 points and K will kick from the 20 yd line. If R accepts the penalty for illegal batting by K the result will be a 15 yard penalty administered from the previous spot because of the loose ball play. The ball will be moved half the distance to the goal It will be K's ball 4th and 20 from the 10 yard line.
Linesman,

You are right that its a loose ball play. But, the foul occured behind the basic spot. Therefore you enforce from the spot of the foul the 2 yd line. 4th down from the 1.
Old Fri Aug 20, 2004, 04:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Quote:
Originally posted by STEVED21
Quote:
Linesman,

You are right that its a loose ball play. But, the foul occured behind the basic spot. Therefore you enforce from the spot of the foul the 2 yd line. 4th down from the 1.
Steve is right on this.. This is the all but 1 principle. If the foul is behind the basic spot (in this case on a loose ball play that would be the preceeding spot) then the foul is enforced from the spot of the foul, which is the 2.

So as a white hat all you would do is say to the B(R)captain is "you want the safety, right?"

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.