The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 17, 2004, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

I will be white-hatting a D-II scrimmage this week. Can someone explain the false start/offsides/encroachment rule as it applies to dead or live ball fouls?

Thanks
Old Tue Aug 17, 2004, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Yikes, I don't know if this should be a congradulations or condolences.
Regardless, better spend some reading time at this link looking over a few rules, like all of them.

http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/20...ball_rules.pdf

Hopefully, you'll have at least an NCAA official at this scrimmage to "assist".
Old Tue Aug 17, 2004, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey
Yikes, I don't know if this should be a congradulations or condolences.
Regardless, better spend some reading time at this link looking over a few rules, like all of them.

http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/20...ball_rules.pdf

Hopefully, you'll have at least an NCAA official at this scrimmage to "assist".
Theisey,

I used to do NCAA so I am familiar with the differences. I just had a question about the calls my wings will be making on the line. I've been to that link and it was not in detail enough to understand.
Old Tue Aug 17, 2004, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

It's not detailed enought?? It's the 2004 rule book, it better be detailed enought.

The wings better know some NCAA/NF differences. Team-B can be offside at the snap.. This is a live ball foul.
Team-A cannot encroach into the NZ nor false start without it being a dead ball.

However, Team-B can cause what might look to be a false start on Team-A, but this dead ball foul will go against team-B if the A-players involved at the ones directly in front of that team-B player or on either side. The team-A player(s) reaction has to be immediate.

Is this what you are looking for?
Old Tue Aug 17, 2004, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey
It's not detailed enought?? It's the 2004 rule book, it better be detailed enought.

The wings better know some NCAA/NF differences. Team-B can be offside at the snap.. This is a live ball foul.
Team-A cannot encroach into the NZ nor false start without it being a dead ball.

However, Team-B can cause what might look to be a false start on Team-A, but this dead ball foul will go against team-B if the A-players involved at the ones directly in front of that team-B player or on either side. The team-A player(s) reaction has to be immediate.

Is this what you are looking for?
Theisey,

Sorry, I misunderstood the link. I was using the link in the FED website that listed the Fed/NCAA differences. THAT was the one that was not very clear. I have the NCAA rule book link now. Thanks for the clarification on the line play for my wings.