The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 03:02pm
goldcoastump

A question on the Part I test ask," A1 intentionally throws a backward pass out-of-bounds to conserve time it is intentional grounding" At first I said TRUE but after thinking too much, I now wonder if that might be false. If he throws a backward pass is it not the same as a controlled fumble.
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

I'd say false and thats one savy player.
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

There's no such animal as a "controlled fumble." It's simply a fumble that goes OOB and the clock is stopped. it is not a foul.
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
There's no such animal as a "controlled fumble." It's simply a fumble that goes OOB and the clock is stopped. it is not a foul.
Agreed.
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Where do you spot the ball?

Spot the ball at the inbounds line where the ball crossed the sideline?

If you know he did it intentionally, could the Referee invoke Rule 3-6-3, and start the clock on the ready?
Alexandria, LA
Louisiana NG
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

3-6-3 wouldn't apply. To invoke 3-6-3 you must have a flag. since there is no foul there can be no 3-6-3.
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Just to throw in a long winded response...

I don't know how much weight you all give to the "Official's Study Guide to NFHS Football Rules 2004 Edition" but they address this specific question and give a couple of examples...

"It is also legal for any player on either team to throw a backward pass any time anywhere on the field (7-2-1). If a player deliberately throws a backward pass out of bounds to conserve time, it is legal and the clock will start on the snap."

Except that I think they meant to cite 7-4-1. Also, 7-5-2 is where intentional grounding and illegally conserving time are defined and notice that they specifically defined as illegal FORWARD passes. There's nothing defined as an illegal BACKWARD pass so A1 didn't do anything illegal to conserve time. Therefore, it's a legal way to stop the clock.

Sorry about that rambling but it's the one rule I know so I had throw it out there!

-Sean---
Old Wed Aug 04, 2004, 05:24am
Official Forum Member

NCAA

I know most people are reading for NF rules, but I find it interesting to read the differences - also with the Canadians out there...

NCAA says (7.2.1)

A runner may hand or pass the ball backward at any time, except to throw the ball intentionally out of bounds to conserve time.
PENALTY Five yards from the spot of the foul; also loss of down if by Team A before team possession changes during a scrimmage down (A.R. 3-4-3-III) [S35 and S9].

James
Old Wed Aug 04, 2004, 07:24am
goldcoastump

Quote:
I came up with the controlled fumble off the cuff. I could not think of anything else to call it.
Old Wed Aug 04, 2004, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Definitely a legal play. One of the tenets of the rule book is that if it isn't clearly ruled illegal then it is legal. Severals years back the Fed. had to change the timout rule to: only can call time out during a deadball period because some one found out that the rules didn't forbid calling timeout during a play. Think about that! Live ball timeout was never called to my knowledge.
Old Wed Aug 04, 2004, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by goldcoastump
Quote:
I came up with the controlled fumble off the cuff. I could not think of anything else to call it.
No problem.
Old Fri Aug 06, 2004, 03:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
also if you think about it, they are called illegal FORWARD passes in the book. 8-)

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Sun Aug 15, 2004, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WVREF
3-6-3 wouldn't apply. To invoke 3-6-3 you must have a flag. since there is no foul there can be no 3-6-3.
Rule 3-6-3 does require an illegal act and throwing the ball backwards out of bounds is legal. Consider the situation, A is trying to conserve time most likely because they trail in the score. They have a spike available to conserve time. They probably will not do it more than once and even if they do it will hurt their offense. So why bother to try to penalize them when they are doing it to themselves.