The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 11, 2004, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Hey guys, I'm new here and this is my first post. Pretty cool forum. I have a question on something that happened to me last year. I was the HL and the QB was scrambling to my side. He had his back to the WH and got tackled behind the line of scrimmage. When he got tackled the D pulled on the QB's facemask, so I threw my flag because I knew the WH couldn't see it. Afterwards, the U told me that "ethically" the WH always has the QB and should be the one to make that call. What's the deal here?
Old Wed Aug 11, 2004, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

I don't buy the "ethically" argument.

However, where were you in relation to where the QB was when you threw the flag? Was he scrambling, as in attempting to pass and scrambled out of the pocket? If so, were you downfield with potential pass receivers?

Welcome to the board.
Old Wed Aug 11, 2004, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

If the play was coming your way and you see a foul in your area, flag it every time. If you have a good view, why not call it? Now if the play is between the hashes or on the other side of the field, it better be an OBVIOUS foul if you are going to call it because someone else should have the best view of the play and sometimes the lights play tricks on you from across the field. Even if it is obvious, I'm sure I'd flag it unless it involved safety such as a PF or UC. You have to trust your crewmates and help them on a call when you can.
"Football is a great deal like life in that it teaches that work, sacrifice, perseverance, competitive drive, selflessness and respect for authority. That is the price that each and every one of us must pay to achieve any goal that is worthwhile." - Vince Lombardi
Old Wed Aug 11, 2004, 10:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Just because the QB has the ball, does not mean you lose all responsibilities for forward progress. At this point the QB is just a runner and that is your primary. Depending whether or not you had receivers on your side, you still have to keep your head on a swivel and be aware of both potential passers and receivers. Anyone can call a facemask on a runner if they see it. The only thing the WH has is the QB after the ball is passed. Your umpire was wrong in telling you that. You could have had two flags if the Referee saw it.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 11, 2004, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

I was only about 3-4 yards down from the LOS. All I remember was glancing back and forth from the QB to the receivers on my side. I didn't want to get run over so if it came on my side I could get out of the way. Then I saw the facemask so I threw the flag. The WH didn't seem to mind, it was just the umpire.
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by schmitty1973
I was only about 3-4 yards down from the LOS. All I remember was glancing back and forth from the QB to the receivers on my side. I didn't want to get run over so if it came on my side I could get out of the way. Then I saw the facemask so I threw the flag. The WH didn't seem to mind, it was just the umpire.
I think you did the right thing here Schmitty. And buy the sound of your play, you were in position and just might have been the only official to see the foul. But I also think the Umpire was giving some good advice. Umpires are, as we all know, all knowing and most are always willing to share that knowledge
Remember,

[b][i][u]“Fish in your own pond"

And BTW welcome to the board
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 01:59am
Official Forum Member

I understand the "fish in your own pond" rule. But if I see something on my side and I'm on the sideline of the team that it would benefit, then I have some 'splaining to do if I don't call it.

Thanks for all the info ... I have alot of other questions I'll be asking in the next few days.

Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: You did exactly the right thing. Chances are good that if the QB was scrambling to your side, the R was probably trailing the play in no position to see the face mask grab. You might very well have saved the bacon on that one...regardless of your U's objections.
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Agree, you did right.
What we have here is an umpire confusing the passing game with the rest of the game.
We do give the R the calls on the QB for throwing illegal passes (dumping) and, in most cases, roughing.
But in your case the QB was just another runner. If you would have called it on the HB, then the call was correct on the QB. There might have been upto three flags on this play if the U had shifted back to the QB because he was approaching the LOS. The R's because he was taking the QB, yours because he was coming at you, and the U's because he was watching the QB as he approached the LOS.
Did you ask the U if he had seen the mask pull?

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

It's about safety of the players

The reason we are out there is to officiate a game, played by amateurs, within the guidelines of rules.

If you see something that may hurt one of these kids, you are well within your rights to flag the offender. If it happened in front of the coach, and you didn't flag it; the coach may be tugging on your facemask for 2 or 3 minutes.
Alexandria, LA
Louisiana NG