The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 11, 2004, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Is wearing a bandana under a player helmet legal? Is there a difference with or without a knot?
Old Wed Aug 11, 2004, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

I can't find a rule on that in NFHS.

I believe you can't in the NFL, but I can't find a specific prohibition in NFHS rules.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Wed Aug 11, 2004, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: There's no rule prohibiting bandannas in NFHS. However, the NCAA's rule says that "Visible bandannas worn on the field or in the end zones" are illegal.
Old Wed Aug 11, 2004, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

This piece of cloth, if visible is considered a "uniform adornment". If it is not visible under the helment, then it would be allowed. NF has a funny way of saying what the NCAA rule says very specifically.

I'm not going to even touch on the "knot" question. Some say absolutely none. I've never seen anything in writing either way, so as far as I'm concerned, there is no problem unless that knot is visible. But then, that is covered by rule.
Old Wed Aug 11, 2004, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Last year in WI in our state meeting this was a point of discussion related to safety and wearing equipment as designed and manufactured. The specific topic was jimi(sp?) caps, but I think it would apply to bandanas as well.

The WIAA supervisor contended that, since helmets were designed to be worn against the head, unless the manufacurers stated in the product literature that a head covering was acceptable add on to wearing the helmet, they shouldn't be allowed. I think this might be more of a CYA in case something happens, but as far as I know, that's how it will be handled here.
Old Wed Aug 11, 2004, 02:01pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

In the OVFL that I officiate in up here in Canada, head bandanas are not allowed. The rationale is that the helmets were designed and tested to provide protection while worn without other items. There's no telling what effect a bandana could have should an injury be occured, such as the helmet not providing the protection is was designed for.
Old Wed Aug 11, 2004, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

What do helment manufacturers say? Not that I have looked for anything, I've read nothing nor heard nothing.
If did have a position, I'm sure both the NCAA and NF would comply. Today both allow bandanas and skull caps. I say it's an over blown issue.
Old Wed Aug 11, 2004, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Just to throw in my two cents... one of our association umpires addressed this question with my rookie class last week and he said the only time he calls out a player is if the bandanna is knotted because it will affect the fit of the helmet and can also pose an additional risk to the player if the knot is driven into his head. If the bandanna is flat and completely hidden under the helmet he lets it slide.

-SW---
Old Wed Aug 11, 2004, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Your two cents and all the other opinions on how officials are handling this issue are fine with me, but until helmet maufacturers say otherwise and both the NF and NCAA rule differently, the wearing of bandanas or skull caps are 100% legal per rule.
That was the question asked.
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 09:06am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey
Your two cents and all the other opinions on how officials are handling this issue are fine with me, but until helmet maufacturers say otherwise and both the NF and NCAA rule differently, the wearing of bandanas or skull caps are 100% legal per rule.
That was the question asked.
Lets say a kid gets injured. It was determined that the helmet did not provide the necessary protection required.

Let's say also that the rulebook used for this game did not ban bandanas /and/ the helmet mfg cites no decrease in helmet funtion while wearing a bandana.

Is there a moral obligation to demand the bandana be removed? (I'm just asking... not trying to be sarcastic.)
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

I think that's where our supervisor was at last year when he stated that we should not allow anything under the helmet. As I stated in an earlier post it felt like a CYA, but again, the manufacturer does testing based on a properly fitted helmet to a players head, and does not represent that a bandana or jimi cap will continue to have the helmet operate as designed. While the rulebook does not state no bandanas specifically, it does mention that equipment cannot be altered from the muaufacturer's design. And on the moral side, we would probably be saving an injured player's parents a lot of angst when the manufacturer retorts to a claim that the helmet was not being worn as designed. THis might be a "better safe than sorry " scenario.

On a lighter note, I often wonder what the helmet mfgs think of when they see Al Harris and Mike McKenzie pull on their helmets over all that hair?
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Tom,

I know this is a NF forum but, NCAA rule 1-4-5-r, specifically states that bandana's on the field of play are illegal equipment.
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shawn.wortman
Tom,

I know this is a NF forum but, NCAA rule 1-4-5-r, specifically states that bandana's on the field of play are illegal equipment.
### check again, it says VISIBLE bandanas are illegal.

Go read read the AR while your at it.
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

True but your previous post said they were 100% legal, which they are not. If we don't see them we can't do anything, just like any other foul. But they are not legal.
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

NCAA only for the moment: you do not understand what the AR is saying then.
Sorry for being so terse here, but what part of "Bandannas may be worn under the helmet as long as no part of the bandanna is visible when the helmet is in place." ?

It's not a foul even when it is visible. It's a violation that causes a charged TO to the team. It may become a foul later, but only after all TOs are exhausted. Its no different than a towel violation.

I'm not wasting any more time on this topic. I have no problem with supervisors telling their officials to not allow these items. They are doing so because it's their "local" rule not because the NF or NCAA says too. Big difference!