The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 30, 2004, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

If he landed out of bounds, he had to go from heading parallel with the sideline to moving at an angle away from the field of play, hence, the ball crossed either inside or outside the pylon at some point. If it crossed inside, TD. If it crossed outside, it goes back to where it went OB.

If the play had started at B's 1/2 yard line and A1 was running a sweep wide and leapt at the last moment from the field of play, crossed the goal line, but the bal went inside the pylon before he landed OB behind the goal line without ever alighting in the end zone, it's a TD. If the ball was outside the pylon, spot it where it went out because it never crossed the goal line.

Touching inbounds means touching inbounds. Your foot, your knee, your toe - something touching the ground inbounds.
Old Fri Jul 30, 2004, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Like Al says, and I agree with every thing in his post.
I'll just add that passing over the top of the pylon would also be a TD.
If you decide to spot the ball at the 1/2 inch line so be it, if you're in the correct position to make the call, no one would have any leg to stand on should they choose to argue against your call. I know I wouldn't.
Old Fri Jul 30, 2004, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

That clarifies a little bit.

However, I still don't understand at what point the player is out of bounds.

From the 2004 Federation rule book:
Rule 2-28 OUT OF BOUNDS
Art. 1 ... A player or other person is out of bounds when any part of the person is touching anything, other than another player or game official, who is on or outside the sideline or end line.
Art. 2. ... A ball in player possession is out of bounds when the runner or the ball touches anything, other than another player or game official, who is on or outside a sideline or end line.
Art. 3.. A losse ball is out of bounds when it touches anything, including a player or game official, who is out of bounds.

How could the spot be just shy of the goaline (1/2 yard line), if the player never touched anything that is out of bounds at that point?

Thanks again for your time, I really want to understand this rule.
Old Fri Jul 30, 2004, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

take a look at 4-3-3 and then come back if you're still not clear.
Old Fri Jul 30, 2004, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

4.3.3 Situation A in the 2004 Case Book clarifies the situation for me.

Thanks for the help. The Forum is great.
Old Fri Jul 30, 2004, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
VerticalStripes said "I would think that "touching inbounds" would still apply until A1 was Out of Bounds by rule."

You would be incorrect. I think where you are hung up is the inbounds verses out of bounds.
The extended goalline applies while the ball carrier is TOUCHING inbounds. It doesn't say while the ball carrier is inbounds. The player does nopt have to go OB for the extension to disappear, just go airborne.
The purpose of the distinction is to make the extension disappear when the ball carrier leaves his feet.
It makes a player go for the spot between the pylons, not dive as far outside as he can go. It also means that when a defensive player makes a good play and knocks the ball carrier off his feet OB, there is no TD scored even if the ball passes what would have been the goalline extended. Note that with the same contact, if the ball carrier maintains any contact with the field inbounds the goalline extended DOES exist and a TD may be scored.

[Edited by Jim S on Jul 30th, 2004 at 09:59 PM]

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Mon Aug 02, 2004, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Allow me to try to illustrate a play for this discussion.

A1 is running down the sideline with B1 is close pursuit. A1 dives for the B's goal line and B1 dives at A1's legs and bumps him taking the ball to a position out of bounds (A1's arm with the ball is over the sideline). A1 switches the ball to the other arm in midair and extends his arm and the ball then strikes the pylon.

Ruling on this?

Old Mon Aug 02, 2004, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
Allow me to try to illustrate a play for this discussion.

A1 is running down the sideline with B1 is close pursuit. A1 dives for the B's goal line and B1 dives at A1's legs and bumps him taking the ball to a position out of bounds (A1's arm with the ball is over the sideline). A1 switches the ball to the other arm in midair and extends his arm and the ball then strikes the pylon.

Ruling on this?

### This isn't our fleet footed "A88" we see in the ARs is it? That guy can do just about anything. Now he can switch the ball from one had to the other while in a midair dive. Wow!

Well, maybe it's really "A87" but he gets a TD for this athletic efforts.
Old Mon Aug 02, 2004, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
T, you haven't been around long enough.(not true of course) A88 IS the world's greatesr football player. A87 is his younger and slightly (just) less talented brother.
We use to argue the play where A88 "caught " the forward pass and then, while still in the air, threw it downfield to his brother for a TD.
Of course that play was soundly trashed by some.. "IMPOSSIBLE" "COUDN"T HAPPEN", etc.... but then it did.... on national TV....
Keep your minds open guys. Just discuss the what ifs. You never know.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

What is the proper mechanic for all these pylon plays?

If the ball is snapped from inside the 5, the wing is releasing to the goal. Should one turn around and open-up to get a view that is perpendicular to the action and get an accurate read as to where the ball was in relation to the pylon as the play ends? Or should the wing take several steps straight back so that they remain on the goalline, and their view of the entire play is increased, but their ability to judge the location of the ball is not as accurate?

Thoughts?
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

The Goal Line trumps the Sideline!

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER compromise the goal line!

On this play, you have to do your best at making a really tough call. But, if you give up the goal line in hopes of ruling in bounds or out of bounds, you give up the greater call of touchdown or no touchdown.