The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
I use all sorts of coins. Foreign, US, Canadian. Even have a couple of coins that were minted for conventions that the kids find interesting.
As a Ref I have the most fun when I have a new umpire. Ask to use his because "I left mine in the locker room". Then give it away as a souvenir.
BTW agree that there is nothing wrong with a 50c piece.
Worked a state playoff game a few years ago where the R brought out a penny. "Gee guys, between us this is all we have til payday....." The captains all broke up.

[Edited by Jim S on Jun 18th, 2004 at 02:25 PM]

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Seriously though, what's wrong with a half dollar???
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Coin Store

I went to the local Antique and Coin store and bought a 1988 silver dollar (the year that I started). The cost was 12.00. It is a nice coin. Big, and easy to catch.
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
I'm going to add another good one on top of the already superfluous topic.

In my Flag football league the supervisor of officials told us to use odds or evens (stick 1 or 2 behind your back, ask captain what it is, away from his view). Of course I asked why we didn't just use a quarter or other coin (penny), we did in the championship games, at least that is what they told us to do; I never recieved any answer.

So I decided to do something a little different, I brought the captains together as usual and I went over rules, then I told them we would do something a little different with the "toss." I decided that we should do paper, rock, scissors for the toss; it starts the competition early and it loosens guys up. I even used it in the championship game when we actually had a coin.

Proper Paper, Rock, Scissors Technique

Of course if you use this method you must state beforehand whether you do it on scissors or on shoot. This could be a big problem if you run into 2 players that are from different schools of thought on proper Paper, Rock, Scissors, or from the south "Rock, paper, scissors," you must allow ample time to explain this as the reprocussions are disastorous. One time it went to about 5 rounds of ties, the captains were having a good time but I had to cut them short, we had a game to get to, so I gave the ball to the team who had the coolest jerseys, no complaints!

If there are any additional questions about this method please don't hesitate to ask me some questions.
Old Sat Jun 19, 2004, 01:04am
Do not give a damn!!

I know some might not like this......

but the coin I use comes directly from +POS. It is one of those "September 11th" Coins. It has the twin towers on the tail side and a Bald Eagle on the other side. I have two of them and I only use them for Football Purposes. It is a great coin and is kind of big and easy to see. I have used this coin for the last 2 years. I love them.

Peace
Old Sat Jun 19, 2004, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Cool big coin

I have used a big coin for the past 3 years. I got a whole set at Wal-Mart of all places for my kids to play with. I happened to take them to my work one day (unrealted story) and had it for a Fr game that evening. I decided to use it. The kids flipped when I showed them. I have sinced used it. The players seem to think it is cool or neat to have the huge coin.

just my .02 worth.....
Old Sat Jun 19, 2004, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Cool

The rock/scissors/paper story is an amusing one.
I remember a white hat on a JV game only had a
penny--- he flipped it and the wind cuaght it ---
we could never find it !! Another time I saw an R
in a sub varsity game w/o a coin flipped his plastic
game card after marking "H" on one side and "T' on
the other.
I bet the guys here have a million tales like that !
Old Sat Jun 19, 2004, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Re: big coin

Quote:
Originally posted by sm_bbcoach
I have used a big coin for the past 3 years. I got a whole set at Wal-Mart of all places for my kids to play with. I happened to take them to my work one day (unrealted story) and had it for a Fr game that evening. I decided to use it. The kids flipped when I showed them. I have sinced used it. The players seem to think it is cool or neat to have the huge coin.

just my .02 worth.....
How big is big?
Old Sat Jun 19, 2004, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
Today I just got a flipping coin from Honigs, it had a head of a Zebra on one side and the tail of the zebra on the other side, along with the word tails. This coin will be a hard one to screw up, and captains will never have a question of which side is which (unless they are Lineman). Just kidding, the front line at my school included the #1 and #5 class ranked students, the closest for the rest of the team was about 30th.
Old Sun Jun 20, 2004, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: big coin

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Quote:
Originally posted by sm_bbcoach

just my .02 worth.....
How big is big?
It is about 3.5 inches in diameter. I was worried about having to carry it for the game, but I used to put it in my back pocket and really I do not feel it. If I remember to I take it out at 1/2 time, of if we wear out jackets out for pre-game (only in the colder weather) I put it in my jacket pocket.

Now, I put it in my card carrier that contains my card for penalties and other info. It slides in the front and I put both in my back pocket. It has worked for the past 3 years.
Old Sun Jun 20, 2004, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Well, it's nice to hear that the Canadian currency has value for some people.
Old Sun Jun 20, 2004, 04:06pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Ump Welsch
...he uses a Canadian Looney coin....
Worth $1.20 US.
Old Sun Jun 20, 2004, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Worth $1.20 US. [/B][/QUOTE]

FYI

As of today (June 20), the Candadian Dollar is worth 73.4 cents (U.S.).

If you go the other way, the U.S. dollar is worth $1.36 Canadian.

Exchange rate still favors the U.S. Dollar, eh?
Old Sun Jun 20, 2004, 05:26pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Talking

Worth US$1.20? That's looney!!!!
Old Sun Jun 20, 2004, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

NF sells a "Flipping" coin for $5.
If you really want a silver dollar, stop by a federal bank (I think that's the term) and ask at a teller window. We picked up about four a few years back at a buck a piece (what a bargin,hahaha).