The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 28, 2004, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Coach Gerry Faust
Exclamation

I always find myself running full speed on a Kick-off.
I have already ran past other officials to get down to the end zone to be at the Goal Line during a return!
It looks Wild on tape!
I can keep up with most players without my pads on,
but it is not the correct mechanics for the return.
One game I crashed into the center of the field for a loose
ball during the free kick.
I was on the 35 of the receiving team.
The Umpire was on the same sideline at the 40 (4man crew) and started blasting me.
He said I should not run in to cover the ball; he said the ball will come out of the pile with someone in possession!
I know I run like mad at times,but I am not sure if I
should get to the loose ball ASAP.
He suggested moving in and watching to see if someone would come out of the pile and break loose.
I guess he figured I would try to make a tackle with all my enrgy?
Any suggestion?
God Bless,
Coach Gerry Faust

Old Wed Apr 28, 2004, 03:05am
Small Business Owner

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Coach Gerry Faust

....Any suggestion?
God Bless,
Coach Gerry Faust
Try a mental hospital...
Old Wed Apr 28, 2004, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

To me it sounds like you just miss playing football and one of these days that adrenaline will really kick in and you'll make a crushing tackle lol I don't really understand why you're covering the ball. Just stay near the sidelines and watch, I don't know what else to tell you really. Good luck with that.
Old Wed Apr 28, 2004, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Go decaf on game days.
Old Wed Apr 28, 2004, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like an illegal participation to me
Old Wed Apr 28, 2004, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Coach GF,

An important component to officiating is positioning. Keeping up with the players is not necessarily a good thing. Congratulations for staying in shape, but don't overlook the obvious.

If you are too far downfield and passing other officials, then I would suggest that you are out of position. You are not doing your job! Who's doing the important job of officiating your area behind the play and dead ball officiating your area as players turn from the end zone and return to their benches?

Not sure I understand why you "crashed into the center of the field", but if you were a flank official, how did you keep the progress spot and why did you crash in? Was there a fight? If you crashed just to be first to the ball, I don't think that's proper mechanics and you could start to alienate your fellow crewmembers if you don't "fish in your own pond!" That's why we are called crews; each has to do his part for the team or we all break down.

Here are some words of wisdom passed on to me by an older, veteran official who saw me trying to beat a player to the goal line. He said, " #1, if you are a few yards behind the runner crossing the goal line, you are better off than being too close. You will see more and have time to get to the line to signal., #2 Get out of your mind trying to run with the players each season. Remember, each year you are a year older, but they remain 18 years old for as long as you officiate!"

True words and I humbly observe them. Good luck.
Old Wed Apr 28, 2004, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

JMN,
Thanks for the input!
I was on the Flank and there was no fight. It was a Free Kick that was kicked straight across the center of the field. It was a Legal Kick that was muffed at the 45 by the Receiving Team.
I Crashed in when I seen the Loose Ball and all 22 Players
went diving at the direction of the ball!
My first instict was Possession!
Secondly,I am looking for the ball carrier to be downed!
Hopefully someone on my crew had the instict to start the
clock.
My Third reaction was to stop the clock!
I think that this is one scenario that demands an Official
to get to the Ball quickly!
Thanks,
Coach Faust
Old Thu Apr 29, 2004, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Just some of my thoughts...(1.) As far as "crashing into the middle of the field," I don't know that I quite agree with your umpire. When the ball is loose and all hell breaks loose in a scrum-like attempt to recover, one official must get to the ball as quickly as possible to "dig." A second official gets to the pile to help keep others from joining the fray and will be in a good position to signal the possession when the digger informs him. Waiting for the ball to come out in someoune's possession is a recipe for disaster in my opinion. If the scrum is just behind the defensive line the digger will most likely be the umpire, with the referee as the "stand by" guy. If it's downfield in the middle, probably the BJ digs; and a wing--or the U--stands by. If it's downfield in a side zone, then the wing will most likely dig with help from the BJ. The other officials MUST keep their eyes on the other players not involved in the scrum to make sure that nothing bad happens unseen....(2.) As far as passing the other officials in running to the goal line, like everyone has said--"fish in your own pond." A good friend of mine who's made it to the top always reminds me to hustle but don't go too fast (not something I've recently been accused of) and don't get too close. Too fast will get you into a position to overrun a play. Too close will limit your peripheral vision. When covering a pass play, a distance of 7-10 yards is probably optimal; for a running play, maybe 15-20 yards is good. Just some thoughts...
Old Fri Apr 30, 2004, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Love those scrums!

I have the disadvantage of working with a four-man crew. Regardless, in pregame we review loose ball coverage. The nearest official gets to the pile and starts to sort players out. He surveys the situation and either dives in or begins by separating the players shouting, "You're out" as he removes players who obviously do not have possession. The second official assists in removing players using the same words.

AT the bottom of the pile will be either a player in possession of the ball or players of the opposite team in which case the ball belongs to the team last in possession.

My other two officials have instructions to slowly move toward the pile whhile observing players around the pile. Last thing you want to do in move all officials to clearing the pile and find two players who came off the pile fighting.

I would love to have that fifth official!
Old Fri Apr 30, 2004, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Did you try Prozac?

Seriously coach, your current style was in vogue during the 1920's when officials actually jumped on top of the pile to see what was going on (there is a great video of the Four Horsemen of Notre Dame scoring on a dive play in the middle of the line and the referee actually takes a running leap and does a belly flop on top of the pile to see if the ball had indeed crossed the goal line in the back's possession; if I can find the file I'll post a reference here; I'll get back to you guys on that one).

Coach, you need to remember that even in high school mechanics the current trend is for wings to start on the sideline and stay there unless you are pinching in at the end of the play when you know for sure the ball is dead...

Coach, you will never go wrong if you slow down, take a deep breath, stay wide and never move in unless you are absolutely sure that the play is over.

Also, that is not a good thing to be running past the other officials. But of course perhaps you had to in order for the crew to have proper coverage on long plays. But really, you need to discuss this issue with your crew and make sure that the other guys are running and/or back-pedaling to put themselves in the proper position. Your duties would be to clean-up the play from behind... Did you ever stop to think that perhaps trying to do another official's job is going to make you miss something in your primary area of responsibility...

Think about it Coach, we do not want Supermen out there... We just want guys who will do their responsibility and have faith in each member of the crew to do theirs... My advice is to slow down, stay wide, and stay in your own area for now...

Best wishes to you, and remember the bumper sticker that was popular at Notre Dame: "Faust fever, cure it!"
Old Fri Apr 30, 2004, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Couch Faust, I will add one more bit of advice to some already excellent posts regarding your mechanics. Look at the post on March 22, 2004, thread 12802. It was an excellent compilation of Principles of Football Officiating. I call your attention specifically to items #75 and 76.
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the Replys!

By the way;those bumper stickers that were pasted all over
ND when I was coach,were Sold by Me!
Ask Brian Bosworth: He stole my idea and made a fortune!
Off to the Beach in sunny Florida!!!!!!!!!!
God Bless,
Coach Faust