Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Coach Gerry Faust
Talking

I am trying to get this "Idea" straight before I
get to mid-season and blow a call.
#1 I always have my watch on my left arm.
#2 I have my finger whistle on my right hand.
#3 I toss my flag with my right hand and pray that
my finger whistle does not follow!
I have gotten to the point where I know that I need help
with this.
I am not sure where to keep my flag either.
I have tried each pocket depending on the throwing hand and
after mid-season I can not keep it inside my belt because
of weight loss and extra speed.
Any suggestions for this coordination.
Coach Faust
PS: Pray for Paul Horning!

Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Coach Gerry Faust
I am trying to get this "Idea" straight before I
get to mid-season and blow a call.
#1 I always have my watch on my left arm.
#2 I have my finger whistle on my right hand.
#3 I toss my flag with my right hand and pray that
my finger whistle does not follow!
I have gotten to the point where I know that I need help
with this.
I am not sure where to keep my flag either.
I have tried each pocket depending on the throwing hand and
after mid-season I can not keep it inside my belt because
of weight loss and extra speed.
Any suggestions for this coordination.
Coach Faust
PS: Pray for Paul Horning!

Your item # 3 is a good reason for having your finger whistle on your left hand. If you are having a problem keeping your flag in your belt because of weight loss, I would suggest marketing whatever is contributing to this. You could make a fortune.

[Edited by Bob Floyd on Apr 2nd, 2004 at 05:48 PM]
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

You have to do whatever works best for you, but I would say the most common ways to handle the things you discussed would be as follows....

Finger whistle on opposite hand of signaling/throwing hand.

I was never a fan of flags with "golf ball" sized weights, but it is becoming much more common, and still looks better than the "rose garden growing out of the back pocket" look. I would say either get a flag with a bigger weight, or take one of your checks and buy a new belt.
Old Sat Apr 03, 2004, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

I was going to suggest, tighten your belt? And put your finger whistle in your left hand. But its all personal preference.
Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

I was working a state championship game and the state supervisor, during our pre-game, said, "I don't want to see any flags out there today." After our initial puzzled reaction, he said, "I mean, keep them tucked in."

Our crew NEVER has a flag showing. I think that looks very sloppy and reflects on the appearance of our crew. You can keep a flag in your rear pocket and still look very neat and professional.
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: My own preferences...(LJ, BJ)

1. Watch on left wrist. (That's where I wear my watch normally)
2. Finger whistle on left hand. (And NO...I don't use one-armed signals. Anyone who claims that a finger whistle MUST mean one-armed signals just hasn't learned the skill. However, wearing the whistle on the left hand leaves the right hand free for the wind-the-clock signal and for dropping the bag and throwing the flag since I'm right-handed.)
3. Down indicator (elastic band) on right hand. (Finger whistle won't interfere with changing the band.)
4. Bean bag on belt - right side. Second bag in front left pocket. (Easy to get to the primary bag on all plays requiring the bag. I hold the second bag in my left hand on punt plays when I'm the BJ to mark the PSK spot.)
5. Primary penalty flag in belt - left side. (I learned about this technique a few years ago. Since I'm right-handed, it makes me reach across my body in order to get it. Gives me a little more time to fully process what I've seen.)
6. Secondary flag in right rear pocket tucked out of sight. (Keep the guns out of sight until/unless needed.)
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Coach Gerry Faust
Thanks Bob!

That was just what I was lokking for!
I had all point backwards!
God Bless,
Coach Faust
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Bob, I like the idea of putting the flag on left side, I might try this, good point on allowing you to think. This year I kept primary in front right belt and secondary in back pocket, nice and deep, like you.
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: snake-eyes...I'll warn you. Work on it during the scrimmage season. You'd be surprised how easy it is to drop your penalty flag on a fumble, or throw your bean bag for a BBW after you've made the switch. Take it from one who's been there---on a TV game no less!
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Of course there's the new electronic whistle.......

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
REPLY: snake-eyes...I'll warn you. Work on it during the scrimmage season. You'd be surprised how easy it is to drop your penalty flag on a fumble, or throw your bean bag for a BBW after you've made the switch. Take it from one who's been there---on a TV game no less!
hehe I've seen it before. I keep the bean bag on the right side of my hip and the flag in the front right, so it shouldn't be that big of a change. I will try it during the scrimmages where I can look like an idiot and see what happens from there.
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Umpire here---
I'm a lefty-- my flag is deep in my left
front pocket--- if I'm throwing it-you know
something bad has happened !!
Whistle hangs around my neck for when I need
it-- bean bag tucked into my belt in front, but
I hold it during kick-offs.
I'm getting psyched for spring ball already !!

Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 02:14am
Official Forum Member

Bob:
I'll also be trying my flag on the left side this year. I shouldn't get too mixed up since I used to have a beanbag on each hip, so it will be a matter of grabbing the ball, not the square.

Otherwise, I have to admit I've never tried a Finger whistle, but have basically the same technique as Bob.
What I have is a whistle on a lanyard around my left writst, that way I flip my wrist and it is in my hand.
I also have my down indicator on the left hand, it blends in with the lanyard - and since I'm sometimes in as U I need an indicator on each hand.

I could never find my whistle when it was around my neck, and I figure a Finger whistle might make ball handling a little uncomfortable.

James
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 05:52am
VaASAump

Bob,

That's a neat idea (wearing flag on left side). Think I'll try that this year during scrimmages. I started wearing my flag on front right side this past year. I also had the problem of flag falling into my pants. Kinda embarrasing when you have to "dig" out your flag to throw it. But I quickly learned to "tighten" my belt so I don't have that problem no more (a coach one time said I musta had some ___ to have called that penalty LOL). I carry a second flag in my front right pocket.

Believe it or not, I carry two finger whistles, one on my left hand, and one in my pocket, just in case I need it. I've never had a problem with ball handling. But I did have to get used to the idea when I first started this.

Oh yeah, Coach Faust, welcome to the wonderful world of officiating. If you follow the "suggestions" here, you'll be just fine. And have fun!!

Serg
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

My umpire on my crew has a strange piece of gear. He sewed white numbers on a black wrist band. 1-5. 1 being left hash,2 half to center, 3 center etc. I thought it a little weird but it works for him. He also uses a baseball clicker for downs (balls) and innings for quarters. I never ask what the strikes are for, number of holding calls per quarter he did not call.
Great umpire just a little strange,he will be starting his 38th year this season.