The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 08:57am
VaASAump

There was a situation that was posted here during last football season. It had something to do with a player coming off the sidelines onto the field of play and scoring a touchdown (pass thrown to him). Can't exactly remember the whole scenario.

I just noticed the rules changes for 2004, along with the Points Of Emphasis. One of these points of emphasis has to do with "substitution and participation". This emphasis is related to the "...proliferation of specialty players and specialty situations within games."

Per Ronniew Matthews, chair of the NFHS Football Rules committee, "The number of players entering and exiting the playing area on any given down should not confuse either the opponents or officials. While deception is part of football, the rules committee does not believe this rule or any rule should create a situation where the offense, defense or officials are confused or distracted."

Sergio

Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Can't wait to read the entire POE. Last season, there was an interpretation that allowed a player to leave the field and re-enter if he had not been substituted.

As mentioned here in Sergio's post, a player can exit the field and return as long as he comes within 15 yards of the ball after the ready. Then it becomes the official's judgment as to whether it was deception or not.
Old Thu Mar 25, 2004, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Smile This raises a judgement issue.

In our association we decided this course of action:

When in doubt about whether the offensive substitution was legal:

1. Did the defense recognize that the substitution was made?

And...

2. Did the defense have an adequate amount of time to align their formation in order to cover the new player?

When you think about it, if the field is roughly 53 & 1/3 yards wide (sorry, don't have my rule book with me) and the offense is huddled-up on their near hashmarks (which would be 1/3 of the distance from their respective sideline, or approximately 18 yards). Therefore, the incoming player would have to come onto the field at least 3 yards or more to be within 15 yards of the huddle.

I think the main thing the rule is trying to prevent is the offensive team sending in a last minute replacement just prior to the snap.

All officials just need to be vigilant during each dead-ball period. Good judgement is going to be the key.
Old Thu Mar 25, 2004, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Mike,

Good memory, 53 yards and 4 feet or 53-1/3 yards.

Rule states within 15-yards of the ball not the huddle. At the near hash mark the sub must come about five steps on the field -- I tell my wings, you don't carry a yardstick, so close enough, is good enough -- to be legal. If the ball lies between the hashes, adjust. If it is at the far hash, they have to make it to the near hash. Of course, be flexible.
Old Fri Mar 26, 2004, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Often when teams go out of a no-huddle, their wideouts are not within the required 15 yards at any time after the ready. Did they draw defensive coverage? If so, there's no violation of the intent of the rule and I would never flag it--especially if the player had participated in the previous play. If he's a substitute coming in, I'd be a little more conservative, but would not flag it if he drew coverage.
Old Fri Mar 26, 2004, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
REPLY: Often when teams go out of a no-huddle, their wideouts are not within the required 15 yards at any time after the ready. Did they draw defensive coverage? If so, there's no violation of the intent of the rule and I would never flag it--especially if the player had participated in the previous play. If he's a substitute coming in, I'd be a little more conservative, but would not flag it if he drew coverage.
Excellent point. If the offensive player draws coverage, no advantage is gained, hence, no foul.
Old Fri Mar 26, 2004, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Good point on the "no huddle" Bob
We say as log as a wide out gets "mirrored" or orbserved clearly by the defense, no problem.
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hickland
Mike,

Good memory, 53 yards and 4 feet or 53-1/3 yards.

Rule states within 15-yards of the ball not the huddle. At the near hash mark the sub must come about five steps on the field -- I tell my wings, you don't carry a yardstick, so close enough, is good enough -- to be legal. If the ball lies between the hashes, adjust. If it is at the far hash, they have to make it to the near hash. Of course, be flexible.
hmmmm.... not to be picky Ed but 53 yards and 4 feet would be 54-1/3 yards....last I checked there were 3 feet in a yard...