The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Our association recently changed from 4 man to 5 man mechanics, although my question would be equally valid for 4 man crews.

One thing I've noticed in making the change, is that we tend to forget the 5th man (BJ) is back there. When working BJ, I've found it difficult to engage my wing guys to communicate when I'm giving up the goal line, etc. As a wing, I sometimes forget about the lonely BJ. This is just one example of on-field communications that could improve.

Assuming a comprehensive pregame includes how we plan to communicate with one another, what are some tips that you have found valuable in improving communication on the field with your fellow officials?

This may include crossfield mechanics for wings, penalty enforcement for R & U, fouls or complete/incomplete on deep passing plays between officials, coverage on dead ball officiaing, and more.

Thanks.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb One idea...

Assume A gains 4 yards on 1st down... After U spots the ball, R tells H "2nd down", H tells B "2nd down", B tells L "2nd down" and L finishes up by telling R and U "2nd down".

This gets everyone on the crew used to making verbal and visual communication between every down.

Also, in our 5 man mechanics the B is responsible for calling strength of formation. The B, H and L then pick-up their eligible receivers from this call. In our association the B will punch towards either the H's or L's side of the field to let them know how to cover the formation.

These should be good basics to work-on for your crew.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

In our mechanics, the BJ and the LJ are responsible for counting B. They give each other the raised fist when they each have eleven just as the R and U do for the offense. Usually we will yell to each other "two off, two in", for example, for a substitution so we are both aware.

Also, the LJ should be calling out yardline numbers to the BJ once they get to or near the B 30 to a) keep him cognizent of the goal line b) keep everybody aware of where the BJ will be giving up the goal line (which should have been one of the topics covered in the pre-game) and c) keep him in it - especially when there is a run oriented offense on the field.

Lastly, on dead balls, we encourage the BJ to be vocal behind the play to let the wings know he's cleaning up and to let the players know there's somebody back there watching them.

On passes into the deep corners of the end zone, we always try to have the wing and BJ get sight of each other and acknowledge each other with a slight nod to let each other know they both had a catch from their angle with feet down. If one guy doesn't nod 'yes', you won't have the other guy going up while the first guy is signaling incomplete. The moment's pause may seem really long, but it really isn't and it looks clean and strong when both guys go up with the TD signal together.

[Edited by ABoselli on Feb 10th, 2004 at 08:28 PM]
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli
In our mechanics, the BJ and the LJ are responsible for counting B. They give each other the raised fist when they each have eleven just as the R and U do for the offense. Usually we will yell to each other "two off, two in", for example, for a substitution so we are both aware.

Also, the LJ should be calling out yardline numbers to the BJ once they get to or near the B 30 to a) keep him cognizent of the goal line b) keep everybody aware of where the BJ will be giving up the goal line (which should have been one of the topics covered in the pre-game) and c) keep him in it - especially when there is a run oriented offense on the field.

Lastly, on dead balls, we encourage the BJ to be vocal behind the play to let the wings know he's cleaning up and to let the players know there's somebody back there watching them.

On passes into the deep corners of the end zone, we always try to have the wing and BJ get sight of each other and acknowledge each other with a slight nod to let each other know they both had a catch from their angle with feet down. If one guy doesn't nod 'yes', you won't have the other guy going up while the first guy is signaling incomplete. The moment's pause may seem really long, but it really isn't and it looks clean and strong when both guys go up with the TD signal together.

[Edited by ABoselli on Feb 10th, 2004 at 08:28 PM]
REPLY: Nice summary, AB...the one difference we use as BJ is on how we turn over coverage of the goal line to the wings. When that time comes, I vocally get their attention ("Jack, Danny -- your goal line") while pointing to the goal line and beginning my retreat to the end line. I wait for a nod from each of them before I give it up. I want positive confirmation that they saw me.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Good ideas on how to get the BJ involved. I would say the BJ has to inject himself into the game. On a gainer of more than 5 yards, the BJ hustles over to the spot, say something like, "I gotcha Bob" to the wing and then relay the ball to the U. Also a great way to clean up off the ball.

The BJ counts defense with the LJ.

After a punt, the BJ reports to the referee what happened. "Fair catch" "First touching at the 27" "Inbounds" etc.

The BJ usually holds the spot when another crew member has a foul.

There's a mechanic that I was taught several years ago for the wings to count seven on the line of scrimmage.

The HL and LJ count the number of players on their side of the center. If there are two on the line on their side of center, they put a fist over their heart. If they have three on their side of the line they put a fist on their belly. If they have four on their side of the line, the fist is on the thigh. So, if I see two on my side of center, and I have my fist on my heart, I'd better see my opposite wing have HIS fist on his thigh (he has four, I have two, plus the center makes 7) or else there is a flag. It's more complicated to explain than it actually is to practice. It's a quick way for both wings to count seven.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FredFan7
Good ideas on how to get the BJ involved. I would say the BJ has to inject himself into the game. On a gainer of more than 5 yards, the BJ hustles over to the spot, say something like, "I gotcha Bob" to the wing and then relay the ball to the U. Also a great way to clean up off the ball.

The BJ counts defense with the LJ.

After a punt, the BJ reports to the referee what happened. "Fair catch" "First touching at the 27" "Inbounds" etc.

The BJ usually holds the spot when another crew member has a foul.

There's a mechanic that I was taught several years ago for the wings to count seven on the line of scrimmage.

The HL and LJ count the number of players on their side of the center. If there are two on the line on their side of center, they put a fist over their heart. If they have three on their side of the line they put a fist on their belly. If they have four on their side of the line, the fist is on the thigh. So, if I see two on my side of center, and I have my fist on my heart, I'd better see my opposite wing have HIS fist on his thigh (he has four, I have two, plus the center makes 7) or else there is a flag. It's more complicated to explain than it actually is to practice. It's a quick way for both wings to count seven.
In regards to counting 7 on the line:
I've told my crew to look for my signal that I've got 11. Then all they need to do is count 4 in the backfield. I always make eye contact after my count and get a nod that they've seen it. I've seen several methods of relaying "7 on the line" and some of them used two hands to signal. This really messed up punching a player off the line of scrimmage.

Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

When we have two outside guys (2 wingbacks) off the line of scrimmage on the same side our wing guys instead of extending the arm with a fist they will extend their arm with two fingers. Thus indicate he has two off the line.

My backjudge is our old white hat. He and fliflopped about 4 years ago. We developed a good communication to remind us of the clock. Whether on the ready or on the snap.

As I cut the ball in we make eye contact and if he his snapping his fingers that means it is on the snap. He only is snapping the fingers on one hand so it is not obvious. If it is to be wound he twirls a finger to remind me. We have found it to be helpful.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BoBo
When we have two outside guys (2 wingbacks) off the line of scrimmage on the same side our wing guys instead of extending the arm with a fist they will extend their arm with two fingers. Thus indicate he has two off the line.

My backjudge is our old white hat. He and fliflopped about 4 years ago. We developed a good communication to remind us of the clock. Whether on the ready or on the snap.

As I cut the ball in we make eye contact and if he his snapping his fingers that means it is on the snap. He only is snapping the fingers on one hand so it is not obvious. If it is to be wound he twirls a finger to remind me. We have found it to be helpful.
That is a good way to keep the BJ involved in the game, I've seen the LJ do this but never the BJ, that's actually a good idea.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

I usually rely on the U to tell me ready or snap, but the only time I lose track is on a play with a penalty. After thinking about giving choices, where to mark from, getting the yardlines correct and all that crap, if I blank on aything, it's snap or ready. If it's a first down play that ends near the sideline, I'll ask the wing.

I do rely on the BJ for telling me if the offense is close to a DOG. He'll give me the little wind signal to tell me to hurry their pace a little.