The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

I am trying to get some information on football camps. Have you ever attended one? Was it worth it? Did it help you to further your career over and above H.S.? Any information would be greatly appreciated. I am attending my first in April, and I am looking forward to it a lot, and just wanted some others opinions, as well as any special details I should pay attention too.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

were ru attending camp iam looking for one in NY state anybody know of any here?
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

The camp is the Buckeye Football Officiating Camp. It is going to be held at Ohio State University. Check out the following link. http://www.bcfoc.com/index.html
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

In Indiana, we have one put on by the IFOA (Indiana Officials Football Association) in June. It has been very good to attend the past 2 years.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Another camp that was highly recommended to me by NFL officials was the Personal Touch Camp. Their website is at http://www.refereecamp.ucla.edu/.

This will be my first camp too. I was also wondering what to expect. Any thoughts on how to prepare and what to bring??
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Hey Fella's,

Well, here is my take on camps. Before I get into this too far, please keep this in mind; Camps are a great thing!

Having attended 3 football camps, Umpire School and 2 basketball camps, not to mention being an instructor at a couple of state clinics here is some very, very humble advice.

1. Bring everthing! And then, bring some more. In the case of football, think of one uniform for each day. Bring shorts and knickers, long and short sleeve shirts. Extra hats and any/all "knick-knacks" that you have. If you are traveling by air, pack at least one uniform with your carry on bag. Just in case your luggage ends up in Topeka.

2. Put a couple extra dollars aside. There is usually a gear company there selling stuff. This by the way is a great time to buy shoes and other hard to fit items. They are right there and you can try everything on.

3. Pay attention to the instructors, and I don't mean solely in what they are saying. Just because a guy is a good official doesn't necessarily mean he is a good instructor. Find and talk to the "Returnees" or "2nd year guys." Listen, watch and then watch some more. Find the instructor that you like and try to stay around them (unless of course you are assigned which can make it a little tougher)

4. Find out how many instructors would be there and how many students are expected. Try to keep the ratio low 15-20 students per one instructor may be a little high. Another example is 275 students and 7 instructors.

5. This one is tough, but I feel it needs to be said. There are camps out there that are Training camps, Exposure camps and Weekend-yell-at-you camps. All three types of camps are highly beneficial and the quicker you decide what kind of a camp you are at, the more beneficial it will be. Camps can contain Instructors and assignors.
Training camps are camps that are designed to train you to be better officials. The instructor to assignor ratio is pretty wide, usually like 8 instructors to 1 assignor (8-1)

Exposure camps are are just that. It is a chance for officials to get in front of assignors. This ratio is usually more even, like 8-6, or 15-8.

Weekend-yell-at-you camps are just that. It usually involves an instructor or two who likes to rip people and believes that by yelling at you, it makes you a better official.

Camps can be one of these or a combination of all three.

6. Help and learn from each other, not just the instructors.
7. Ask a ton of questions!
8. HAVE FUN and remember this important item...You paid good money to come to a camp and you are a customer of theirs. You are there to learn as much as you can. You are there to become a better official, not to listen to a guy tell you "ghosties" about how he handled a game situation.

Well, thats my take on camps. You can't beat em as far as training. Highly recommended! If you have any questions, let me know.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2004, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
camps

What is the usual price range for these camps?

And Are there any good ones in the Indiana Area?
Old Sun Mar 07, 2004, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
Do people usually go as a crew, or is it more individual?