The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

I have just learned that next year, I am going to have an opportunity to start working some D3 college ball. I am starting out with lower level games.

Can any of you college officials offer me any advice? I already realize their are a number of differences between rules codes for NF and NCAA. They also work 6-man CCA mechanics.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Have fun, relax and you will do great
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

You can download a the NCAA rulebook as a PDF. We use the rules in HS, so I don't know about any of the Fed translation stuff.
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they would put me away.
-Monty Python-
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Good for you Mike! First of all, invest in the Football Rules Differences publication. You can get it from NASO. A good piece of advice when you're new: Concentrate first on those rules that are necessary for you to properly officiate your position. For example, if you're going to be a SJ or FJ concentrate on the kicking and passing rules first. No need to worry about intentional grounding in such a case. And finally...forget about K and R. They don't exist in NCAA.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
I have just learned that next year, I am going to have an opportunity to start working some D3 college ball. I am starting out with lower level games.

Can any of you college officials offer me any advice? I already realize their are a number of differences between rules codes for NF and NCAA. They also work 6-man CCA mechanics.
Thats great Mike! Looks like your dedication and hard work are paying off. You probably already found this site but if not check it out. It covers the major differences and is the best on-line site that I’ve found so far .Good luck

http://www.nfhs.org/PDF/Football/NFH...ules_diffs.pdf

Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

If you're on the line, keep telling yourself to stash the whistle. I had to keep telling myself that as I saw the defense come across prior to the snap.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Mike...do you have any idea what position(s) you'll be working?
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli
If you're on the line, keep telling yourself to stash the whistle. I had to keep telling myself that as I saw the defense come across prior to the snap.
### in fact, keep the whistle out of the mouth no matter what position you plan to work at.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Two words - finger whistle.

I know there's an ongoing debate over this on the McGriff board, but the lanyard hits me in the face when I run, I don't want to hold on to it while I run, and I don't want to run with it in my mouth. Hence the finger whistle. It also has saved my butt from many an IW.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

How bout when you're signaling touchdown, incomplete and can't forget the good ol' one handed stop clock signal.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
How bout when you're signaling touchdown, incomplete and can't forget the good ol' one handed stop clock signal.
Blow then signal. Be deliberate. It's really not that hard.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 10:50pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Nope. Lanyard. Will NEVER use a finger whistle. I like how Markbreit talks about his dislike for the finger whistle in his book, too.

Rich
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Nope. Lanyard. Will NEVER use a finger whistle. I like how Markbreit talks about his dislike for the finger whistle in his book, too.

Rich
Only spot I'd be using a finger whistle is at U and I will never work U because I don't like it.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

It's not rocket science - blow the whistle, then signal.

There are plenty of NFL officials who use them. Its a matter of preference. I prefer the FW for the reasons stated above. If you can't remember to wait until the whistle is done blowing to signal, then you're just an idiot.

I've tried both. I could make do with a lanyard if forced, but I'd prefer not to. I don't see where the whole anti-FW sentiment originates from.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: I've used a finger whistle for years on the lines and deep in both HS and in some limited college ball. I've never had a one-handed signal in 25 years! As mentioned, it's a simple thing to give a good blast and then give your signal with both hands.... And I wouldn't listen to Mr. Markbreit's opinions on the issue since he would constantly walk around with the whistle in his mouth, even after the ball was dead and when he was talking to another official. I remember watching a crewmate reporting a foul to him and he's got the whistle between his teeth. I'd be screaming at the TV, "Spit it out!." A great official, but not one I'd necessarily emulate for whistle mechanics.